Real World Physics Situation Requires Theory and Insight

In summary, a colleague has a glass panel in his kitchen with a hole in the center for a plug socket. The panel has cracked near the socket, and it is believed that excess heat and cooling may have caused this, as the glass has a weak point in the center and the stove is located to the left. An engineer has stated that the malfunction of the stove could not have caused the crack, but it is possible that temperature changes and stress at the weak point could be the cause. Further research in mechanics of materials textbooks may provide more insight.
stantz
Hello.

I hope I am posting in the right section, apologies if I am not.

I need help with a situation that has arisen for a colleague of mine, he asked me for help but sadly I can't give him an answer based on fact and logic. Can you please help?

In his kitchen he has a glass panel which is about 2 meters wide, by 1 meter high.

This panel has a hole in the centre where a plug socket is located. His kitchen stove is under the panel to the left. The stove is electric, and has malfunctioned and when the main oven switch is set to on it automatically sets the back hob to the highest heat.

The glass has cracked at the plug socket, to the right of the socket. The crack was not witnessed, and occurred during the night when the oven was off but most likely used that same night.

Could the heat cause the crack?

He was told by an engineer (electrical) who came to fix the oven that the malfunction could not cause the crack as it was not directly over the hob, but the glass has an obvious weak point in the centre. Could excess heat and then cooling cause this to happen away from the left hand side of the glass where the hob is located, making the crack appear next to the week point of the hole?

It will be great to hear your thoughts and feedback regarding this, I look forward to it.

Regards,

Ray.

PS> The glass is frosted, about 1cm thick and mounted against the wall.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is true that temperature changes cause materials to expand and contract, and can thus causes internal stresses if an object is constrained. It's also true that stress is concentrated at holes, corners, and other areas of high curvature, and it's in these areas that failure often initiates. So I think your hypothesis is reasonable. You can read more about these topics in mechanics of materials textbooks (like Dowling, Courtney, or Beer and Johnston).

Hello Ray,

Thank you for reaching out to me for help with this situation. Based on the information provided, it is possible that the excess heat and cooling could have caused the crack in the glass panel. This is because glass is a material that expands when heated and contracts when cooled, and sudden changes in temperature can cause stress on the material, leading to cracks. Additionally, the location of the crack near the weak point of the hole could also indicate that the heat from the malfunctioning stove may have contributed to the crack.

However, it is also important to consider other factors such as the quality and thickness of the glass, as well as any external forces that may have caused the crack. Without further information or a thorough examination of the glass panel, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of the crack.

In situations like this, it is important to use both theory and insight to come to a conclusion. Based on the theory of thermal expansion and contraction, it is possible that the heat from the stove could have caused the crack. However, it is also important to consider other factors and use your insight as a scientist to analyze the situation and come to a logical explanation.

I hope this helps and I wish your colleague the best of luck in resolving this issue.

Best regards,

1. What is the importance of theory in real-world physics situations?

Theory is essential in understanding and predicting real-world physics situations. It provides a framework for organizing and explaining observations and data, allowing us to make sense of complex phenomena. Without theory, we would not be able to develop insights and make accurate predictions about the behavior of the physical world.

2. How does theory differ from observation in real-world physics?

Theory and observation are two complementary aspects of the scientific process. Observation involves collecting data and making measurements, while theory involves developing explanations and models for these observations. Theory goes beyond the data to provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms at work.

3. Can real-world physics situations be understood without theory?

No, real-world physics situations cannot be fully understood without theory. While observations and data can provide valuable information, theory is necessary for interpreting and making sense of this information. It allows us to identify patterns, relationships, and underlying principles that may not be immediately apparent from the data alone.

4. How can insights be gained from theory in real-world physics situations?

Theory provides a framework for organizing and understanding observations, which can lead to insights about the underlying mechanisms and principles at work. By developing and testing theories, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the physical world and make predictions about future observations and experiments.

5. How do real-world physics situations inform and shape theories?

Real-world physics situations are the foundation of scientific theories. The observations and data collected from these situations are used to develop and refine theories, while the predictions made by theories are tested and validated through real-world experiments and observations. This iterative process of theory and observation constantly informs and shapes our understanding of the physical world.