Comparing Speeds of Golf Ball and Ping Pong Ball with Equal Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter fattydq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Golf
In summary, according to the definition of kinetic energy (1/2 M*V^2), if a golf ball and a Ping-Pong ball have the same kinetic energy, the golf ball would have a slower speed due to its higher mass compared to the Ping-Pong ball. This means that the golf ball would have a greater inertia and would require more energy to accelerate. Therefore, the golf ball would have a lower speed than the Ping-Pong ball.
fattydq
If a golf ball and a Ping-Pong ball both move with the same kinetic energy, can you say which has the greater speed? Explain in terms of the definition of kinetic energy.

Can you guys tell me if I'm thinking along the correct lines in my response...

Kinetic energy = 1/2 M*V^2.
Since the golf ball has a higher mass than the pingpong ball, the only way they could both have the same kinetic energy is if the golf ball has a slower speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct!

ill said:
Correct!

K, thanks...haha I'll try to keep these questions to a minimum when they're so simple but it was so simple I felt like I was overlooking something haha

1. What is the difference between a golf ball and a ping pong ball?

A golf ball and a ping pong ball are both small, round balls used in sports. However, they have several notable differences. Golf balls are larger, typically measuring 42.67 mm in diameter, while ping pong balls have a diameter of 40 mm. Golf balls are also heavier, weighing around 46 grams, compared to the 2.7 gram weight of a ping pong ball. Additionally, golf balls have dimples on their surface, while ping pong balls have a smooth surface. These differences in size and weight greatly impact the way the balls behave when struck.

2. What are golf balls and ping pong balls made of?

Golf balls are typically made of a solid core, usually made of rubber or synthetic materials, and are covered with a layer of plastic or rubber. The dimples on the surface of the golf ball are designed to reduce air resistance and increase its distance when struck. Ping pong balls, on the other hand, are made of celluloid or plastic, and have a hollow core. This allows them to be lightweight and bounce easily on a table tennis surface.

3. Can a golf ball or a ping pong ball float in water?

Yes, both golf balls and ping pong balls are capable of floating in water. The density of the materials used to make these balls allows them to float on the surface of water. However, golf balls are more likely to sink due to their heavier weight and smaller volume compared to ping pong balls.

4. How far can a golf ball and a ping pong ball travel when hit?

The distance a golf ball or a ping pong ball travels when hit depends on a variety of factors, including the force of the swing, the angle at which it is hit, and the surface it is being hit on. Generally, golf balls can travel much farther than ping pong balls due to their larger size and weight. A golf ball hit by a professional golfer can travel over 300 yards, while a ping pong ball hit by a professional player can travel up to 70 miles per hour.

5. Are there any safety precautions when using golf balls and ping pong balls?

When playing golf or table tennis, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid injury. Golf balls can be dangerous when hit at high speeds, so it is important to always be aware of your surroundings and never hit a ball towards another person. Ping pong balls, while less dangerous, can still cause harm if hit directly at someone's face or eyes. It is important to practice caution and proper technique when playing with either type of ball.