Relationship between Point Loads and Running Loads in Cantilevered Beams

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a cantilevered beam with a prismatic cross section and a point force acting on the centroidal axis in the direction of the longitudinal axis. The question is whether this will create a running load along the length of the member. The conclusion is that it will not, as the force distribution is constant at any section between the fixed end and the applied point load. The person asking for help was initially struggling to understand this concept but eventually came to the same conclusion.
Ignea_unda
I've been working in class and I'm having trouble clarifying how these two (if at all) are related. Say we have a cantalivered (sp?) beam, prismatic cross section, with a point force acting at the centroidal axis of the cross section in the direction of the longitudinal axis. Will this create a running load along the length of the member?

I want to say it doesn't because the surface integral doesn't make sense to me at this point, but maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you mean by "running" load a linearly distributed force per unit length along the longitudinal axis of the beam, then, yes, you are correct, the answer is "No". A Free Body Diagram will show that the force is constant at any section between the fixed end and the applied point load. If the beam was vertical under its own weight only, with no applied point load, then in that case the force distribution along the length would be linear.

Thank you very much for your help. I was struggling with figuring it out, but was finally able to come to the same conclusion. It made perfect sense and I'm not sure why it took me so much to discover.

In any matter, Thank you.

1. What is the difference between point loads and running loads?

Point loads refer to a concentrated load applied at a specific point on a structure, while running loads refer to a distributed load that is applied along a specific length or area of a structure.

2. How do point loads and running loads affect the structural integrity of a building?

Point loads and running loads can both contribute to the overall stress and strain on a structure, which can affect its stability and safety. It is important to consider the magnitude, location, and distribution of these loads when designing a structure.

3. What are some common examples of point loads and running loads in real-world structures?

Point loads can include things like columns, beams, and other structural elements that support a concentrated load. Running loads can include things like wind, snow, and live loads such as people or equipment.

4. How are point loads and running loads calculated in structural analysis?

Point loads are typically calculated by determining the magnitude and location of the load, as well as the type of support it is exerting on the structure. Running loads are calculated by considering the distribution of the load and its effect on the structure over its length or area.

5. Can point loads and running loads be combined in structural analysis?

Yes, point loads and running loads can be combined in structural analysis to determine the total load on a structure. It is important to consider the effects of both types of loads to ensure the structural integrity of the building.