A quick(?) question about the Pauli exclusion principle

This explains how quarks can exist in the same particle despite having the same n, l, ml, and ms quantum numbers. In summary, the exclusion principle states that particles cannot exist with the same quantum numbers, but this does not depend on how close they are to each other. Quarks in baryons violate this principle by having a different quantum number for "colour".
jeebs
Hi,
This might be an ignorant question but I have to ask it. The exclusion principle forbids particles from existing with the same quantum numbers, like, if you had 2 electrons, they have quantum numbers n, l, ml and ms, and one out of those 4 has to be different, right?

What I was wondering was how close do two particles have to be before the exclusion principle starts working?
obviously two electrons in different atoms can have all the same quantum numbers, but I ask this because I'm reading about quarks in baryons, and apparently they violate the principle, so how come they can get close enough to each other to be in the same particle?

I get the feeling there's something huge here that I don't quite understand yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jeebs! :smile:
jeebs said:
What I was wondering was how close do two particles have to be before the exclusion principle starts working?

"close"? … I think you're thinking of free particles.

Particles such as electrons round an atom are in the same ball-game, and it only has certain available quantum numbers …

it doesn't matter how "close" two electrons are (eg are they on opposite sides of the atom?): what matters is their orbits, not their instantaneous positions.
I'm reading about quarks in baryons, and apparently they violate the principle, so how come they can get close enough to each other to be in the same particle?

They have to be different "colours", and "colour" is a quantum number. :wink:

I believe the apparent violation of the exculsion principle was used to show that another quantum number (dubbed colour) exists.

1. What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

2. Why is the Pauli exclusion principle important?

The Pauli exclusion principle is important because it helps to explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms and the properties of matter.

3. How does the Pauli exclusion principle affect electron configurations?

The Pauli exclusion principle dictates that electrons within an atom must occupy unique quantum states. This means that in an atom, each electron occupies a specific energy level and orbital, and no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

4. Can the Pauli exclusion principle be violated?

No, the Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It has been experimentally verified countless times and is an essential part of our understanding of the behavior of matter.

5. How does the Pauli exclusion principle relate to the stability of matter?

The Pauli exclusion principle is one of the key factors that contribute to the stability of matter. Without this principle, electrons could occupy the same quantum state and would not be constrained to specific energy levels, leading to unstable and unpredictable atomic and molecular structures.