How do I combine f(x) and g(x) to find the limit as x approaches 1?

• Thread starter fruitbowl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with finding the limit of a function involving two other functions, given a table of x and y values. They mention being unable to use certain equations due to plagiarism concerns, and ask for help in manipulating the functions. Eventually, they receive guidance on how to find the limit using the properties of limits.
fruitbowl

Homework Statement

Apologies for any trouble, but I'm not going to post any numbers, as my school is very sensitive about plagiarism and the like in homework. I only need some help in figuring out what to do.

I'm given a table of x values 1 to 5, and for each, corresponding y-values for two functions: f(x) and g(x). So my table has three rows x, f(x), and g(x).

I have to find the limit of [2f(x) - 3g(x)] as x approaches 1.

I can do g(f(x)), but... Af(x) - Bg(x)? What...?

I know limits are calculus stuff, but what I really need help with here is manipulating g(x) and f(x), and that should be precalculus... right?

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped. The first thing that did cross my mind was substituting the y values I'm given from the table into f(x) and g(x), but... that can't be right! I get a number that makes no sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
I fail to see the problem. [2f(x) - 3g(x)] doesn't involve compound functions.

Hmm, so should I just post this in the calculus forum? I just don't know how to find the limit of [2f(x) - 3g(x)] as x approaches 1.

[tex]\lim_{x\to a} (Af(x)+ Bg(x))= A(\lim_{x\to a} f(x))+ B(\lim_{x\to a} g(x))[/tex]

I would think you would have learned that well before
[tex]\lim_{x\to a} f(g(x))[/tex]

Ah, thank you so much!

1. What is the difference between f(x) and g(x)?

F(x) and g(x) are both mathematical functions, but they can differ in terms of the variables they use, the operations they perform, and the values they output. While f(x) may represent a linear function, g(x) could represent an exponential function, for example.

2. Can f(x) and g(x) be combined into one function?

Yes, f(x) and g(x) can be combined into one function. This is known as a composite function, where the output of one function becomes the input of another function.

3. What are the steps to combining f(x) and g(x)?

The steps to combining f(x) and g(x) depend on the specific functions, but generally, you would substitute the function for its variable, simplify the resulting expression, and solve for the final output.

4. Can the order of combining f(x) and g(x) be changed?

Yes, the order of combining f(x) and g(x) can be changed, but the resulting function may be different. This is because the order in which functions are combined can affect the final output.

5. What is the purpose of combining f(x) and g(x)?

The purpose of combining f(x) and g(x) is often to create a new function that represents a relationship between two variables, or to simplify a complex expression into a more manageable form.