Most physics-ey engineering discipline

• Thread starter Codester09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: Just throwing out ideas. I've heard that most physicists are "condensed matter physicists" which is essentially material science. So maybe Material Science Engineering. This might best leave the door open for going back to physics.
Codester09
Which fields of engineering involve the most physics. I'm a physics major at the moment, but after seeing how ridiculous it is to land a tenure position at a university, I'm considering switching to engineering. What do you guys suggest for a physics/math buff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering Physics.

Yea.. not a degree option @ my school.. that's a pretty uncommon one.

Codester09 said:
Which fields of engineering involve the most physics. I'm a physics major at the moment, but after seeing how ridiculous it is to land a tenure position at a university, I'm considering switching to engineering. What do you guys suggest for a physics/math buff?

Just throwing out ideas. I've heard that most physicists are "condensed matter physicists" which is essentially material science. So maybe Material Science Engineering. This might best leave the door open for going back to physics.

After that probably Nuclear Eng. followed by Mechanical., Aero., and Chemical

Many engineering disciplines have branches that are "physics-ey". It does depend upon what fields you are interested in.

Electrical engineeering includes electromagnetics (primarily waves), applied solid state physics (semiconductor physics to make better materials for transistors, designi transistors themselves, etc.), and optics. Some EEs end up requiring a lot of quantum mechanics to do their work. Some EE departments include plasma physics, as well.

MEchanical engineering includes mechanics (including solid mechanics), fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics, of course.

MAterials science includes solid state physics, thermal and statistical physics.

I know too little about chemical engineering to say much ...

I must say, however, that in my limited experience (always worked at the same place ...) the engineers in the workplace that get to think the most about the physics tend to be those with graduate degrees.

jason

The amount of science you want to deal with in engineering isn't depend upon what field you choose but up to you. I wouldn't be so much concerned with which field you choose, but what area of physics you want to work in. For example, if you like physical chemistry go into mechanical or chemical, if you like nuclear physics, go into nuclear engineering, etc.

Codester09 said:

I'm a physics/math buff and I chose electrical engineering. I can't say EE has the most physics/math compared to other engineering areas, but maybe it offers the most diverse range of subtopics in both math and physics.

There is a wide range of topics in EE and not all of them require detailed knowledge of physics and math - for example computer or circuit design. However, you can easily steer yourself more towards physics/math based areas. You need quantum mechanics to understand semiconductor and other solid state devices. Electromagnetics/optics, acoustics, mechanics are other examples of physics areas. Math areas include differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, Fourier and Laplace transform theory and application, probability theory and stochastic processes, feedback and control theory, discrete time mathematical theory, linear systems analysis. When you get to grad level in EE, you will find some people are technologists, some are almost pure applied mathematicians, some are basically applied physicists and some are jacks of all trades (with the likely chance of being a master of none).

Differential geometry isn't used much in engineering, but you can learn it easily enough on your own because the covered vector calculus with general curvilinear coordinates and tensor calculations gets you close. Mechanical engineering is also a good choice if you prefer mechanics, fluids and thermodynamics. It's really close between mechanical and electrical engineering, but I typically find electrical engineers have been exposed to a wider range of math analysis theory. I think physics gives the best overall applied mathematics background and of course the best physics background. However, perhaps engineers are a little better at using math and physics to get answers efficiently for real world design problems. For example, a physics major is better suited to do a spacetime coordinate transform for the electromagnetic field components in a special relativity problem, and most EEs might not even know how to approach that, but a physics major might not even know the correct form of Maxwell's equations for designing and optimizing a motor with practical ferromagnetic materials, or if they do, they might struggle to get answers with it. So, with any area you choose, you should seek to keep learning to improve your knowledge and capabilities over time.

What is the most physics-ey engineering discipline?

The most physics-ey engineering discipline is mechanical engineering. It involves the application of physics principles such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems.

What are some common career paths for someone with a degree in the most physics-ey engineering discipline?

Some common career paths for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering include working in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, or manufacturing. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, or academia.

What skills are important for success in the most physics-ey engineering discipline?

Some important skills for success in mechanical engineering include a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, problem-solving and critical thinking abilities, and proficiency in computer-aided design and analysis software. Communication, teamwork, and time management skills are also crucial for working in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.

What are some current advancements or developments in the most physics-ey engineering discipline?

Some current advancements in mechanical engineering include the development of renewable energy technologies, such as wind turbines and solar panels, the use of advanced materials and additive manufacturing techniques in aerospace and automotive industries, and the incorporation of artificial intelligence and machine learning in designing and optimizing complex mechanical systems.

How does the most physics-ey engineering discipline contribute to society?

Mechanical engineering plays a crucial role in improving our everyday lives by designing and manufacturing products and systems that make our lives easier, safer, and more efficient. It also contributes to the development of sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions to address global challenges such as climate change and energy conservation.