Calculating Redshift: A Guide to Using Hubble Constant and Distance

• Thread starter elliottmarter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary, a redshift survey has identified a galaxy cluster with a distance of 520 Mpc. To calculate the redshift, the Hubble constant (H0) of 72 km s−1 Mpc−1 can be used, along with the speed at which the cluster is traveling away from the observer. For redshifts approaching or exceeding 1, the expansion of the universe must be taken into account.
elliottmarter
A redshift survey has identified a galaxy cluster for which it infers a di stance of 520 Mpc. At what redshift is this cluster observed to be? You may use H0 = 72 km s−1 Mpc−1

Now call me old fashioned but don't i need some kind of relativistic speed to calculate the redshift, i mean i have a distance of 520Mpc (=16.12x10^21m) and the Hubble constant...but I am sure i need a value for how fast its traveling away from me...

Thanks

EDIT i think i just realized that i times its distance by Ho to get its speed as its Kms-1 Mpc-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Your edit is correct.

Then as long as this speed is much less than 'c' you can just use classical redshift.
When you get redshifts approaching (or larger than) 1 you need to take into account the expansion of the universe.

yeah the Lorentz factor was 1.00... so i just used z=v/c

so its 520x72 = 37440 and that's its speed which is then divided by the speed of light to get its redshift...i think...

Yes, you are correct. In order to calculate the redshift, you need to know the distance and the velocity of the galaxy cluster. The Hubble constant, which is a measure of the expansion rate of the universe, can be used to calculate the velocity of the cluster. By multiplying the distance of 520 Mpc by the Hubble constant of 72 km s−1 Mpc−1, you can calculate the velocity of the cluster, which is 37440 km s−1. This velocity can then be divided by the speed of light (299,792 km/s) to get the redshift, which in this case is approximately 0.125. Therefore, the galaxy cluster is observed to be at a redshift of 0.125.

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from an object appears to have a longer wavelength, or to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This is due to the object moving away from the observer, causing the light waves to stretch out as they travel through space.

2. How is redshift measured?

Redshift is typically measured using a spectroscope, which separates light into its component wavelengths. The amount of redshift is determined by comparing the observed wavelength of a known reference object to the expected wavelength of that object. This difference in wavelength is known as the redshift value.

3. What causes redshift?

Redshift can be caused by a variety of factors, but it is most commonly associated with the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, galaxies and other objects move away from each other, causing their light to appear redshifted. Other factors such as the Doppler effect and gravitational redshift can also contribute to redshift.

4. How is redshift related to the age of the universe?

Redshift is directly related to the age of the universe through the concept of cosmic expansion. As the universe expands, objects move further away from each other and their light becomes more redshifted. By measuring the amount of redshift in various objects, scientists can estimate the age of the universe.

5. Can redshift be used to determine the distance to objects in space?

Yes, redshift can be used as an indicator of the distance to objects in space. The greater the redshift value, the further away the object is estimated to be. This is because objects that are further away will have a greater redshift due to the expansion of the universe. However, redshift alone is not enough to accurately determine the distance to an object and must be combined with other methods such as parallax or standard candles.