Potential difference on a conical surface

In summary, The conversation is about a problem from the Griffiths EM book and using different methods to solve it. The person is questioning if they can use a small rectangular patch as the differential area element instead of a ring, and the other person is unsure but suggests trying it out.
issacnewton
hi

i am posting a problem 2.26 from griffiths EM book third edition.i am also attaching the solution from the book's solution manual. in the solution, griffiths has taken the ring as the differential element. but i want to know if we can take the small rectangular patch on the conical surface as the differential area element so that we can do double integration for calculating the potential at two points.

Issac n

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
hi

i am posting a problem 2.26 from griffiths EM book third edition.i am also attaching the solution from the book's solution manual. in the solution, griffiths has taken the ring as the differential element. but i want to know if we can take the small rectangular patch on the conical surface as the differential area element so that we can do double integration for calculating the potential at two points.

Issac n

i forgot to attach. let me see how to do it

I don't see why not. What do you get when you try it?

What is potential difference on a conical surface?

Potential difference on a conical surface refers to the difference in electrical potential between two points on a conical surface. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another on the surface.

How is potential difference calculated on a conical surface?

The potential difference on a conical surface can be calculated by dividing the change in potential energy by the amount of charge moved. Mathematically, it is represented as V = ΔU/q, where V is potential difference, ΔU is change in potential energy, and q is the amount of charge moved.

What factors affect the potential difference on a conical surface?

The potential difference on a conical surface is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cone, the distribution of charge on the surface, and the distance between the two points being measured. Additionally, the type of material the cone is made of can also affect the potential difference.

Why is potential difference important on a conical surface?

Potential difference on a conical surface is important because it determines the direction of electric field lines and the flow of electric current. It also plays a crucial role in many electrical applications, such as in generators, motors, and electronic circuits.

How is potential difference on a conical surface measured?

Potential difference on a conical surface can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected between the two points on the surface and measures the difference in electrical potential between them. This value is then displayed on the voltmeter as the potential difference.