Norm question (Frobenius norm)

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
In summary: Q+P \right\|_{F}^{2} \\&= \left\| Q \right\|_{F}^{2} + 2trace(QP) + \left\| P \right\|_{F}^{2} \\&= \left\| Q \right\|_{F}^{2} + 2trace(QP) + trace(P^2)\end{align*}Rearranging the terms, we get\begin{align*}trace(P^2) - trace(QP) &\leq \left\| Q \right\|_{F}^{2} \\ trace(P^2) - trace(QP) &\
math8
We show that if P and Q are Hermitian positive definite matrices satisfying

[tex]x^{*}Px \leq x^{*}Qx [/tex] for all [tex]x \in \textbf{C}^{n}[/tex]

then [tex]\left\| P \right\|_{F} \leq \left\| Q \right\|_{F}[/tex]

where [tex]\left\| \cdot \right\|_{F} [/tex] denotes the Frobenius norm (or Hilbert-Schmidt norm)

If A is a mXn matrix, then the Frobenius norm of A is
[tex]\left\| A \right\|_{F} = \left( \sum ^{m}_{i=1} \sum ^{n}_{j=1} \left| a_{ij}\right| ^{2} \right) ^{1/2} = \left( \sum ^{n}_{j=1} \left\| a_{j}\right\| ^{2}_{2} \right) ^{1/2} [/tex]

with [tex] a_{j} [/tex] being the j-th column of A.I can see that the matrix (Q-P) is positive semi-definite. But from there I am not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. Hint: Use the fact that for any Hermitian positive definite matrix A, we have \left\| A \right\|_{F}^{2} = trace(A^2)We start by noting that the matrix (Q-P) is Hermitian positive semi-definite. This implies that \begin{align*}x^{*}(Q-P)x \geq 0\end{align*}for all x in \textbf{C}^{n}.Now, using the fact that for any Hermitian positive definite matrix A, we have \left\| A \right\|_{F}^{2} = trace(A^2), and the assumption that x^{*}Px \leq x^{*}Qx, we can deduce that\begin{align*}trace((Q-P)^2) &= \left\| Q-P \right\|_{F}^{2} \\&= \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n (Q_{ij} - P_{ij})^2 \\ &= \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n \left[ x_i^*Qx_j - x_i^*Px_j \right]^2 \\&\leq \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n \left[ x_i^*Qx_j + x_i^*Px_j \right]^2 \\&= \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n \left[ x_i^*(Q+P)x_j \right]^2 \\&= \left\| Q + P \right\|_{F}^{2} \\&= trace((Q+P)^2)\end{align*}Therefore,\begin{align*}trace(P^2) &= trace((Q+P)^2) - trace((Q-P)^2) \\&\leq trace((Q+P)^2) \\&= \

1. What is the definition of the Frobenius norm?

The Frobenius norm, also known as the Euclidean norm, is a way to measure the size or magnitude of a matrix. It is defined as the square root of the sum of the squared absolute values of the elements in the matrix.

2. How is the Frobenius norm calculated?

The Frobenius norm is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared absolute values of all the elements in the matrix. It can be represented mathematically as ||A||F = √(∑ij |aij|2).

3. What is the purpose of the Frobenius norm?

The Frobenius norm is commonly used in linear algebra and matrix calculations, and it serves as a measure of the "size" of a matrix. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to measure the difference between two matrices.

4. How does the Frobenius norm differ from other matrix norms?

The Frobenius norm differs from other matrix norms, such as the 1-norm and the infinity-norm, in the way it calculates the size of a matrix. While the 1-norm takes the maximum absolute column sum and the infinity-norm takes the maximum absolute row sum, the Frobenius norm takes into account all the elements in the matrix.

5. What are some applications of the Frobenius norm?

The Frobenius norm has various applications in mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in optimization problems, data compression, image processing, and machine learning. It is also commonly used in linear algebra to analyze the properties of matrices and their operations.