Braking force required to slow doen a merry-go-round

In summary, a student is designing a centrifugal braking system for a merry-go-round as a college assignment. They have calculated the friction force and torque that the brake will apply, but are unsure if it will be enough to slow down the merry-go-round due to its high angular momentum. They are seeking a way to calculate if the brake's torque is sufficient for the task.
hi_im_fil
For a college assignment I am designing a centrifugal braking system which will limit the rotational speed of a merry-go-round to a pre determined value. I am using a system similar to the picture shown below. The brake will be using on the central shaft of the merry-go-round and a drum will be locked solid in the ground.

centrifugal_bpnt.jpg

I have calculated the friction force that the centrifugal brake will apply to the drum at any given angular velocity and also the torque that the brake can apply to the drum. I am unsure however if this braking force will be enough to slow down the merry-go-round. It's angular momentum could possibly be too high for the brake to slow it down...

Is there any way I could caclulate if the torque that the centrifugal brake is high enough to slow down the merry-go-round?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the board,
hi_im_fil said:
I have calculated the friction force that the centrifugal brake will apply to the drum at any given angular velocity and also the torque that the brake can apply to the drum. I am unsure however if this braking force will be enough to slow down the merry-go-round. It's angular momentum could possibly be too high for the brake to slow it down...

Is there any way I could caclulate if the torque that the centrifugal brake is high enough to slow down the merry-go-round?
Are you familiar with how angular acceleration, torque and rotational inertia are related? Take a look at this example and see if it helps.
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/torque/Q.torque.example.angacc.html

1. What is the braking force required to slow down a merry-go-round?

The amount of braking force required to slow down a merry-go-round depends on several factors including the mass of the merry-go-round, the rotational speed, and the desired rate of deceleration. The braking force can be calculated using the equation F = (m*v^2)/r, where F is the braking force, m is the mass, v is the rotational speed, and r is the radius of the merry-go-round.

2. Can the braking force be too strong for a merry-go-round?

Yes, the braking force can be too strong for a merry-go-round. If the braking force is too strong, it can cause the merry-go-round to come to a sudden stop, which can be dangerous for riders. It is important to carefully calculate the braking force to ensure a safe and controlled deceleration.

3. Does the shape of the merry-go-round affect the required braking force?

Yes, the shape of the merry-go-round can affect the required braking force. A merry-go-round with a larger radius will require more braking force to slow down compared to one with a smaller radius. Additionally, the distribution of mass on the merry-go-round can also impact the required braking force.

4. How does the friction between the merry-go-round and its base affect the braking force?

The friction between the merry-go-round and its base can affect the braking force. If there is a high amount of friction, it can help to slow down the merry-go-round and reduce the required braking force. However, if there is too much friction, it can cause the merry-go-round to stop abruptly, which can be dangerous for riders.

5. Can the braking force be adjusted on a merry-go-round?

Yes, the braking force can be adjusted on a merry-go-round. This can be done by changing the rotational speed of the merry-go-round, adjusting the weight distribution of the riders, or using braking mechanisms such as friction pads or brake shoes. It is important to carefully consider and adjust the braking force to ensure the safety of riders.