Help with Chi-Squared Test: Probability Link to \chi^2 Value

• Thread starter leah3000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chi Test
In summary, the conversation was about a chi-squared test and its application to a data set of pea plant offspring. The individual asking for help was confused about how to relate the calculated chi square value to the probability value in the distribution table. The expert explains the process of selecting the row for degrees of freedom and how it relates to the probability value. The expert also reminds the individual about stating their hypothesis when using the chi square test.
leah3000
Chi- squared test--please help

Posted this on 12.04.10 but haven't gotten a response. Is my data unclear? Can someone explain how to link the probability to the [tex]\chi[/tex]^2 value please.

1. Homework Statement

In a cross between two types of pea plants, one heterozygous for the round yellow seed condition, and the other, pure breeding with wrinkled green seeds, the following offsprings were recorded;

Round yellow peas-- 108
Round green peas-- 102
Wrinkled yellow peas--105
Wrinkled green peas-- 101

2. Homework Equations

[tex]\chi[/tex] ^2 = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]{O-E)^2 / E}

The ratio of a heterozygous cross with a homozygous recessive

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the value of [tex]\chi[/tex] ^2 to be 0.28. The degrees of freedom= no. of categories-1 = 3.

I'm a little bit confused on how to relate the calculated value of [tex]\chi[/tex]^2 to the probability value in the distribution table.

I took the probability value as > 0.1 and got 6.25 according to the data in the table. I'm now assuming that it isn't a significant deviation as the value of [tex]\chi[/tex] ^2 is much smaller than this (0.28).

Can someone please explain this if I'm on the wrong track. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://faculty.southwest.tn.edu/jiwilliams/probab2.gif

using the above table, first thing you select the row for your degrees of freedom. in your case, it is 3.

now this row tells us, if your chi square value is less than 0.35, then the probability of this particular event occurring is greater than 0.95. If the chi square value is between 0.35 and 0.58, the probability of this event occurring is between 0.90 and 0.95. And so on.

your chi square value is 0.28. therefore, the probability of your event occurring is 0.95 or greater.

now i haven't checked if you have correctly calculated the chi square value. and also, the chi square test is used to test a particular hypothesis. you should have stated your hypothesis.

Kushal said:
http://faculty.southwest.tn.edu/jiwilliams/probab2.gif

using the above table, first thing you select the row for your degrees of freedom. in your case, it is 3.

now this row tells us, if your chi square value is less than 0.35, then the probability of this particular event occurring is greater than 0.95. If the chi square value is between 0.35 and 0.58, the probability of this event occurring is between 0.90 and 0.95. And so on.

your chi square value is 0.28. therefore, the probability of your event occurring is 0.95 or greater.

now i haven't checked if you have correctly calculated the chi square value. and also, the chi square test is used to test a particular hypothesis. you should have stated your hypothesis.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I realize now i was actually doing the opposite. I was trying to figure out the probability without actually applying the chi square value to the table. HUGE ERROR:redface: I'm trying to learn from a text. Thanks for clearing things up!

1. What is the Chi-Squared Test?

The Chi-Squared Test is a statistical test used to determine if there is a significant relationship between two categorical variables. It compares observed data with expected data to see if any significant differences exist. It is commonly used in social and behavioral sciences, but can also be applied in other fields.

2. How is the Chi-Squared Test calculated?

The Chi-Squared Test is calculated by first creating a contingency table with the observed and expected frequencies for each category. Then, a formula is used to calculate the Chi-Squared value, which is the sum of the squared differences between the observed and expected frequencies divided by the expected frequencies. This value is then compared to a critical value to determine if there is a significant relationship between the variables.

3. What is the significance level in a Chi-Squared Test?

The significance level in a Chi-Squared Test is the probability of obtaining a result as extreme or more extreme than the observed result, assuming that there is no relationship between the variables. It is typically set at 0.05 or 0.01, and a p-value less than the significance level indicates a significant relationship between the variables.

4. How is the Chi-Squared Test used to determine probabilities?

The Chi-Squared Test can be used to determine probabilities by calculating a p-value, which is the probability of obtaining a result as extreme or more extreme than the observed result. This p-value can then be compared to the significance level to determine if there is a significant relationship between the variables. If the p-value is less than the significance level, it is unlikely that the observed result occurred by chance, indicating a significant relationship.

5. What are the limitations of the Chi-Squared Test?

One limitation of the Chi-Squared Test is that it can only be used with categorical data and is not suitable for continuous variables. Additionally, it assumes that the expected frequencies are greater than 5 for each cell in the contingency table. If this assumption is not met, a different test may be more appropriate. It is also important to note that a significant Chi-Squared value does not necessarily mean there is a strong or meaningful relationship between the variables, as it only indicates a statistically significant difference.