Temperature of Cosmological Constant

In summary, the cosmological constant is thought to be generated by dark energy and zero point energy from virtual particles. It is possible that this process could produce a measurable temperature, as virtual particles can collide and create real particles, but the predicted size of the cosmological constant is about 120 orders of magnitude too large. The interaction between separate virtual particle pairs is still uncertain and theories such as black hole evaporation suggest that one of the pair escapes while the other is absorbed.
friend
Is there a temperature related to the cosmological constant?

As I understand it, the cosmological constant is produced by dark energy and is a form of zero point energy created by virtual particles and antiparticles being created and annihilated all the time. It seems to me that this process could produce a temperature that might be measureable. With particles pairs being created and annihilated everywhere at all times, it seems likely that a virtual particle created somewhere might collide with another virtual particle created nearby and prevent some virtual particles from annihilating with the partener it was created with. The net result would be creation of real particles creating a background radiation which we might be able to measure. Or do all such virtual pairs travel right through each other like bosons?

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of using virtual particles to predict the cosmological constant suffers from one fatal flaw - the size predicted is about 120 orders of magnitude too large.

mathman said:
The idea of using virtual particles to predict the cosmological constant suffers from one fatal flaw - the size predicted is about 120 orders of magnitude too large.

I guess I'm asking if separate virtual particle pairs can interact with each other and produce real particles.

The only theory (I know of - I'm no expert) that seems like your suggestion is black hole evaporation, where one of the pair escapes and the other is absorbed in the black hole.

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter lambda (Λ), is a term in Einstein's field equations of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It is also known as dark energy and is responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How does the temperature of the cosmological constant affect the universe?

The temperature of the cosmological constant does not directly affect the universe as it is a constant value. However, it plays a crucial role in determining the expansion rate of the universe and ultimately its fate. A higher temperature would result in a faster expansion rate and a lower temperature would result in a slower expansion rate.

3. How is the temperature of the cosmological constant measured?

The temperature of the cosmological constant is not directly measured as it is a theoretical concept. However, it can be indirectly estimated by studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe and holds information about its temperature at different points in time.

4. Can the temperature of the cosmological constant change?

The cosmological constant is believed to be a constant value, meaning it does not change over time. However, some theories suggest that it may vary over long periods of time, which could have significant implications for the fate of the universe.

5. How does the temperature of the cosmological constant relate to the Big Bang theory?

The temperature of the cosmological constant is closely related to the Big Bang theory. According to the theory, the universe began as a highly compressed and hot singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The cosmological constant plays a crucial role in determining the rate of this expansion and the overall evolution of the universe.