Is mass density a scalar or a scalar density of weight -1?

In summary: Yes, that's right! Extensive variables like mass (in kilograms) or volume (in cubic meters) change depending on the coordinate system you use, while intensive variables like density (in kilograms per cubic meter) always stay the same.
Rearden
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to the nature of mass density. I've always seen it referred to as a scalar. Now by conservation of mass, when you integrate mass density over a volume, you get a scalar quantity. But volume transforms like a scalar density of weight 1, so shouldn't mass density transform like a scalar density of weight -1?

Thanks,
Rearden

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rearden! :smile:
Rearden said:
… mass density. I've always seen it referred to as a scalar.

I've always seen volume referred to as a scalar, even though (as you say) it's actually a scalar density. :wink:

I think this is because people are almost always interested in whether something is scalar as opposed to vectorial (or tensorial etc) …

in that sense, volume is a scalar, and so is (mass) density. :smile:

Neither quantities are vectors (that goes without saying), so they must be scalar quantities. The difference is that Mass is an extensive variable and Density is an intensive variable.

Rearden said:
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to the nature of mass density. I've always seen it referred to as a scalar. Now by conservation of mass, when you integrate mass density over a volume, you get a scalar quantity. But volume transforms like a scalar density of weight 1, so shouldn't mass density transform like a scalar density of weight -1?

Thanks,
Rearden

Yes, but +1 or -1 doesn't matter because 1/(-1)=-1.

I've been confused by the given answers (and question) for some time, clem and Tiny and
sophiecentaur. Mass density in R^3 appears to be a well-behaved scalar. Under a general linear coordinate transformation it remains constant; it doesn't pick-up a 'density' coefficient. Mass, on the the other hand, is coordinate system dependent, and is not a simple scalar, so that in going from m to cm, say, it picks up a factor of 1000. Tensor density values are additive, so mass density has a tensor density of 0. Volume has a tensor density of 1, and mass therefore has a tensor density of 0+1=1.

The keywords seem to be density, extention, Jacobian (determinant), and tensor.

Last edited:
Can I have a reference to "mass density" from someone, please?
Or does it just refer to things like kg m-3?

I have a feeling that this conversation may be at a higher level than I initially thought and I don't want to appear any more dumb than necessary!

Hi sophiecentaur! :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_density" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Owch.
I did tensors in prehistoric times (1964) and managed to answer the questions correctly but none of us 'got' them, in my group.
I'll get my coat. . . . .

Sorry, I wasn't thinking hard enough about integration...I can see why it's an honest scalar now.
Thanks everyone!

Phrak said:
I've been confused by the given answers (and question) for some time, clem and Tiny and
sophiecentaur. Mass density in R^3 appears to be a well-behaved scalar. Under a general linear coordinate transformation it remains constant; it doesn't pick-up a 'density' coefficient. Mass, on the the other hand, is coordinate system dependent, and is not a simple scalar, so that in going from m to cm, say, it picks up a factor of 1000. Tensor density values are additive, so mass density has a tensor density of 0. Volume has a tensor density of 1, and mass therefore has a tensor density of 0+1=1.

The keywords seem to be density, extention, Jacobian (determinant), and tensor.

Haha, you'll be back tomorrow sophiecentaur. Without your post I wouldn't have learned about 'intensive' and extensive'.

But wait a minute! Have I got this upside down and backwards? If I have a space filled with a substance having a density of 5 kg/m3, and change to centimeters, the value of the scalar changes from 5 to 5000, or kg/cm3.

1. What is mass density?

Mass density is the measure of how much mass is contained within a specific volume of a substance. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ (rho) and is measured in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. Is mass density a scalar or a scalar density of weight -1?

Mass density is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. It is not a scalar density of weight -1, as weight is a force and not a density.

3. How is mass density different from weight density?

Mass density and weight density are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Mass density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume, while weight density is a measure of how much weight (force) is exerted on a given volume.

4. What factors affect mass density?

Mass density can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the substance. As temperature or pressure increases, mass density may change due to changes in the volume of the substance. Different substances also have different mass densities due to variations in their atomic and molecular structures.

5. How is mass density measured?

Mass density is measured using various instruments and techniques, depending on the substance being measured. For solid materials, it can be measured by dividing the mass of the object by its volume. For liquids and gases, specialized instruments such as hydrometers or densimeters are used to measure the mass density.