Colliding Particles using energy

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving an alpha particle and a proton moving towards each other. The question asks for the distance of closest approach between the two particles. The given hint suggests making use of two conserved quantities. The attempted solution involves using the equations U=Eqd and K=1/2*(mv^2), with the assumption that the final velocity (V_f) is 0. However, the correct answer is d_f=1.3*10^-13, which can be obtained by using the given hint.
seto6
this question is from my previous assignment which was due 2 weeks back. just revising for mid-term not sure how to solve it. if someone explains it thoroughly it would be grate

Homework Statement

An alpha particle is a nucleus of Helium. It has twice the charge and four times the mass of the proton.

A proton and an alpha particle headed directly toward each other, had each initial speed of 3.9×10−3 c when they were far away.

Here, as is customary when describing processes involving nuclear targets, the speed is expressed as a fraction of c, the speed of light.

What is the distance of closest approach between the proton and the alpha particle?

Hint: There are two conserved quantities. Make use of both.

Homework Equations

U=Eqd or KqQ/r
K=1/2*(mv^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

.5m(v_i)^2 + Eq(d_i)= .5m(v_f)^2 + Eq(d_f)

where (V_f)=0 then i solved for (d_f)
and got the 1.87*10^-27 but the answer should be d_f=1.3*10^-13

could some 1 explain this to me and the reasoning! please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that V_f = 0. Make use of the hint that you were given.

this question is from my previous assignment which was due 2 weeks back. just revising for mid-term not sure how to solve it. if someone explains it thoroughly it would be grate

Why don't you make an attempt using the hints I just gave?

v_f is the final velocity , at minimum distance it can reach it will be zero.no?

seto6 said:
v_f is the final velocity , at minimum distance it can reach it will be zero.no?
No it won't. Use the hint that the problem gave you! What else is conserved besides energy?

1. What are colliding particles and how are they used in experiments?

Colliding particles are two or more subatomic particles that are accelerated to high energies and made to collide with each other. These collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions, helping us understand the laws of physics and the origins of the universe.

2. How do scientists accelerate particles for collisions?

Particles are accelerated using powerful machines called particle accelerators, which use electric fields to increase the speed of particles. These accelerators can reach extremely high energies, allowing particles to collide with great force.

3. What happens when particles collide with high energy?

When particles collide at high energies, they can break apart and create new particles, releasing a tremendous amount of energy. This energy can be used to study the properties of these new particles and the interactions between them.

4. What are the benefits of studying colliding particles?

Studying colliding particles allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as improving medical imaging technology and developing new materials and technologies.

5. Are there any safety concerns with colliding particles?

Particle collisions are carefully controlled and monitored by scientists to ensure the safety of both researchers and the environment. Any potential risks are thoroughly assessed and precautions are taken to minimize them. Particle accelerators have been used for decades without any major safety incidents.