Mechanical engineering: weapons

In summary: No, and I don't want to. Weapons systems design is a really important and complex field, and you don't really get a good understanding of it until you have some experience working on actual weapons.Weapons systems design is a really important and complex field, and you don't really get a good understanding of it until you have some experience working on actual weapons.In summary, if you want to work on weapons systems, you need to join the military and then go to school to learn the specific skills required.
I mean, day to day, what do you expect to be doing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a mechanical engineering student, I can tell you that weapons design is one field that M.E.s head into. I personally have no interest in designing weapons, my focus is design race-cars. There are certain classes that I've taken that introduce you into that field. Just like some of the other previous posts you need to have a experience in chemistry, thermodynamics, machine design, physics, calculus, etc. I have a friend right now whom works as a civilian for the military and designs large caliber weapons for the military. She (yes she!) has a masters in mechanical engineering. Also check out Gaston Glock the famous gun maker. He never had experience in designing weapons but he was a mechanical engineer with extensive knowledge in thermoplastics. He designed the infamous glock 17 when he was 52!

Hope this helps some.

Good day and Good luck!

Get a solid ME, EE, or Chem E degree, then look for work with one of the military laboratories (if there are any left by that time) where most of the weapons design actually happens. If you are interested in big guns, try the Naval Surface Warfare Center where the Navy is developing the guns of the future. For slightly smaller guns, the Army is also developing guns at their labs. Picatinny Arsenal is actively involved in new ordinance development, so check on their work. I'm sure that there is work on the west coast that I am less aware of as well. The point is, you have to start watching the various military development programs to see where the new systems are being genned up. With the current national mood, this is not going to be a hot time for new programs.

Additionally, many/most new weapons are designed by companies which vie for government grants and contracts to develop new technologies. This work is not necessarily (or even generally) done by the "government agencies".

A degree in ME will get you started, but if you want to head into the weapons development field, you'll either need to:
a) Start your own company / get in with a person starting their own from the beginning
b) Get a higher level degree in engineering relating to things applicable to the weapons field (Ballistics, aerodynamics, combustion, Instrumentation&Control, Composites/Materials, etc) and hope a government contracted company needs some extra hands / has a big contract on the horizon.
c) Call around the various corps of the military and ask what direction you would take if you wanted to become part of their weapons development / new technology programs

If I were you I'd arrange for my Dad to help me get some advice from some leading military contractors already engaged in weapons production & research.
Most organisations will find the time to offer advice to people like yourself if they believe the enquiry is genuine & you are ready for university training.
If you already have great grades, you might even discover that some potential employers have cadet schemes & can help out with study costs.
Make sure if you follow this advice that you present well with a portfolio showing what you have already managed to achieve.

I will be studying B.Eng in Engineering Physics -

1- I like this degree for its excelled and vast knowledge.
2- Can this lead me to any mechanical related field and thus work for mechanical engineering (and weapons aswell)
3- I can provide the in detail course description if it can help the reader provide a better advice.

Thank you !