Can a^x be negative infinity with i and e?

Z}.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between exponential and logarithmic expressions, specifically when the base is a negative number. It concludes that as the input variable approaches infinity, the output becomes an exponential expression with a negative infinity value.
coki2000
I think about on this and found a result, [tex]e^{i\pi k}=e^{-i\pi k}=-1\Rightarrow i\pi k=ln(-1)[/tex]
a>1 and k=1,2,3...

[tex]y=(-a)^{i\alpha }\Rightarrow lny=i\alpha ln(-a)=i\alpha (ln(-1)+lna)=i\alpha (i\pi k+lna)\Rightarrow y=e^{-\alpha \pi k}e^{i\alpha \ln{a}}[/tex]

Then

[tex]\alpha \ln{a}=-\pi \Rightarrow \alpha =\frac{-\pi }{\ln{a}}\Rightarrow e^{-i\pi }e^{\frac{{\pi }^2 k}{\ln{a}}}=-e^{\frac{{\pi }^2 k}{\ln{a}}} [/tex]

If I choose k as infinity, I get a exponential expression as negative infinity.
Is it right? Please explain to me. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, k would be k=2n-1=1,3,5,7...

Not sure what you're doing, but I'd write:
[tex]a^x=-k[/tex]

[tex]e^{x\log(a)}=-k[/tex]

[tex]x\log(a)=\log(-k)[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{\log(-k)}{\log(a)}=\frac{\ln(k)+i(\pi+2 n \pi)}{\log(a)}[/tex]

and as [itex]k\to\infty[/itex], [itex]x\to \infty+i(\pi+2n\pi)/\log(a)[/itex]

1. Can any real number raised to a power be negative infinity?

No, it is not possible for a real number to be raised to a power and result in a negative infinity value. In mathematics, infinity is not considered a real number, and any number raised to a power will always have a finite value.

2. Is it possible for a negative number to be raised to a power and result in negative infinity?

No, it is not possible for a negative number to be raised to a power and result in a negative infinity value. When a negative number is raised to a power, it will still result in a positive number, albeit with a different sign. For example, (-3)^2 = 9, not -9.

3. Can a fraction be raised to a power and result in negative infinity?

No, a fraction raised to a power will always have a finite value. Even if the fraction's numerator or denominator is a negative number, the resulting value will still be positive. For example, (1/2)^-2 = 4, not -4.

4. What about imaginary numbers? Can they be raised to a power and result in negative infinity?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be raised to a power and result in a negative infinity value. Imaginary numbers are defined as the square root of a negative number, and when raised to a power, they will result in a real number with a finite value.

5. Can any function or equation result in a value of negative infinity?

No, functions and equations can only have real number outputs. While some functions may have a limit of negative infinity as the input approaches a certain value, they will never actually reach negative infinity as a final output.