Chaotic Spin Foams: Is There a Preferred Direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of spin foams becoming chaotic and the potential existence of an arrow pointing in a preferred direction. A link to a webpage with further information is also shared. The conversation also touches on the intelligence of the question and the lack of expectation for answers.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can spin foams become chaotic, if so is their an arrow that points
in a preferred direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
Have you seen this page? It has some links that may answer your question (if it's not been answered yet...)

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/foam/

hello Tsu,
it is not unusual for wolram to pose questions which are too deep for me
and (it looks like) others here.

if space got ever more cheesy as time progressed that would give some meaning to time
time would the irreversible increasing cheesiness of space
after a while it gets too crumbly and you throw it down a black hole and get a new one
:smile:

dont worry about wolram

he knows when he asks a deep one and doesn't expect answers

wolram said:
Can spin foams become chaotic, if so is their an arrow that points
in a preferred direction
Spin foams, as I understand the question, are chaotic by nature. I do not understand the question.

By Marcus
dont worry about wolram

he knows when he asks a deep one and doesn't expect answers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies for the wording of my question, it shows my lack of intelligence.
cheesy quantum history, heaven forbid.
thank you for replies.

Oh, I guess I was just in the mood for googling and posting last night. :biggrin: Since it (the question) looked fun, and I found John Baez talking about it (I can actually read a LOT of his stuff - and understand it! {sort of...}), I just thought I'd post the link. Hadn't talked to wolram in AGES anyway... :wink: Oh well... I'll go back to work now... :redface:

1. What is a chaotic spin foam?

A chaotic spin foam is a mathematical model used in quantum gravity research to describe the dynamics of space-time on a microscopic level. It is based on the idea that the fabric of space-time is made up of small, constantly fluctuating structures called spin networks.

2. How does a chaotic spin foam differ from other models of quantum gravity?

Unlike other models, chaotic spin foams do not assume a preferred direction in space-time. Instead, they incorporate the concept of chaos, where the behavior of the system is highly sensitive to initial conditions. This allows for a more dynamic and unpredictable description of space-time.

3. Is there evidence for the existence of a preferred direction in space-time?

There is currently no empirical evidence that suggests a preferred direction in space-time. However, some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, propose the existence of a preferred direction based on the structure of spin networks.

4. What implications does a chaotic spin foam have for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of chaos in spin foams challenges our traditional understanding of causality and determinism. It also suggests that the universe may be constantly evolving and changing in unpredictable ways, rather than following a predetermined path.

5. How do scientists study chaotic spin foams?

Scientists use mathematical and computational tools to simulate and analyze the behavior of chaotic spin foams. They also conduct experiments using particle accelerators and other instruments to test the predictions of these models. However, much research is still needed to fully understand the implications of chaotic spin foams for quantum gravity and our understanding of the universe.