How to make scientific notation the default in the Python interpreter?

In summary, to set scientific notation as the default in the Python interpreter, you can use the set_printoptions function from the NumPy library. This function allows you to specify the desired formatting for numerical values, including scientific notation. Additionally, you can change the default formatting for scientific notation by using the set_printoptions function and specifying parameters such as the number of decimal places and exponent threshold. To display numbers in scientific notation, you can use the format function or the printf method in the math module. Scientific notation is useful in Python for representing large or small numbers in a compact and standardized way, improving accuracy and avoiding rounding errors. To convert a number to scientific notation, you can use the format function or the printf method in the math module and
andresordonez
Hi, I'm tired of reading numbers like 695500000, and using %e all the time is not a practical solution.

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
The Python "interactive mode" is just a REPL loop. You can write your own REPL loop in python pretty easily, and then you will have full control over how output is printed.

http://blog.hackthology.com/writing-an-interactive-repl-in-python [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, though I thought it could be easier than that. I guess I could modify somehow some code of the interpreter.

1. How do I set scientific notation as the default in the Python interpreter?

To set scientific notation as the default in the Python interpreter, you can use the set_printoptions function from the NumPy library. This function allows you to specify the desired formatting for numerical values, including scientific notation.

2. Can I change the default formatting for scientific notation in the Python interpreter?

Yes, you can change the default formatting for scientific notation in the Python interpreter by using the set_printoptions function from the NumPy library. You can specify the number of decimal places, the exponent threshold, and other parameters to customize the scientific notation display.

3. How do I display numbers in scientific notation in Python?

To display numbers in scientific notation in Python, you can use the format function or the printf method in the math module. Both of these methods allow you to specify the desired format, including scientific notation, for numerical values.

4. Why is scientific notation useful in Python?

Scientific notation is useful in Python because it allows for a compact and standardized way to represent very large or very small numbers. It also helps to improve the accuracy of calculations and avoid rounding errors that can occur with long decimal numbers.

5. How can I convert a number to scientific notation in Python?

To convert a number to scientific notation in Python, you can use the format function or the printf method in the math module. You can specify the desired format, including scientific notation, and the number will be automatically converted to that format.