What is the Angle of Repose for Granular Materials?

In summary, the individual is investigating the angle of repose of granular materials for their coursework, but has not been able to find a suitable theory or equation to test. They have three methods for calculating the angle of repose and will be using sand and salt as samples. They have already searched for possible theories and equations but have not found any that are suitable.
Rhysics
For my coursework, i am investigating the angle of repose of granular materials. However, for my coursework to be. . . successful i need to prove or disprove a theory or an empirical equation which i can test. So far from my research i have not found a simple... or appropriate complexity theory or equation. So... if you know/can think of any theories or equations i can test on this area please let me know.

Background:

Angle or repose is the steepest angle of descent or dip of the slope relative to the horizontal plane when material on the slope face is on the verge of sliding.

I have 3 methods to calculate the angle of repose, each have a different setup.

An example of one - the simplest one. Is to have a funnel full of sand a fixed height above a piece of card. The sand is then released from the funnel (via a nozzle) onto the card. This will form a cone of sand, and from this cone the angle of repose can be calculated, using trig and knowing the radius of the cone. The sand is of a certain particle size, and i have 3 differing particle size sand samples to use. I will also use salt, as it is easy to get differing particle size samples to use.

Thanks in Advance

Rhys

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunately, i have already been on all those sites you suggested. But thanks for the effort

1. What is granular physics?

Granular physics is the study of the behavior of granular materials, such as sand, grains, powders, and other particles, under different conditions. It involves understanding how these materials interact with each other and with their environment, and how they can form structures and exhibit unique properties.

2. What are some examples of granular materials?

Some examples of granular materials include sand, sugar, grains, coffee grounds, powders, and pills. These materials are typically made up of individual particles that interact with each other through forces like friction, cohesion, and gravity.

3. How are granular physics models used in industry?

Granular physics models are used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, agriculture, and construction. They help in understanding the behavior of granular materials in processes like mixing, transportation, and packing, and can be used to optimize these processes for efficiency and quality control.

4. What are some challenges in studying granular physics?

One of the main challenges in studying granular physics is the complexity of the interactions between individual particles, which can be difficult to predict and model accurately. Additionally, granular materials can exhibit different behaviors under different conditions, making it challenging to generalize findings.

5. What are some potential applications of granular physics research?

Granular physics research has the potential to impact various fields, such as materials science, geology, and engineering. It can also have practical applications in developing new technologies and materials, improving industrial processes, and understanding natural phenomena like landslides and avalanches.