Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
Late today, I couldn't take it anymore and rode my trusty FJR around puddles/sand, potholes the size of manhole covers for about 30 minutes to take a walk by the beach, it was worth it. Then a walk by the beach and about a half hour to clean the bike when I got home. Still, it was worth it. Hopefully I got all the salt/sand off her.

The next goal, enjoy a day or two of skiing with college buddies at the end of the week. The temperature was in the high 30's low 40's so it wasn't bad riding, especially with a windshield and face shield. The roads were a bit more sketchy than I like but in the end it was worth it. The next goal after that, consecutive days with temperatures over 50 degrees so "the beast" and I can become acquainted with one another. I already know that each and every input to the BMW will have to be much smoother, softer and slower than on the Yamaha which weighs almost 175 lbs more. I won't start riding the other bike till I switch the Metzeler original tires to the Michelin's. That's it for today.

Rhody...

P.S. I must confess, I find myself coming back to this thread from time to time to watch some of the links posted. I have been here awhile now so I have a "feel" for the
number of times people stop and pay a visit, for the record, what I call the "core" group of about 50 or so members have been and remain consistent. There seem to be a number
of folks, probably some like myself, who like like to watch and later come back to some of the various video's and subjects I posted. I never planned it this way, it just worked out that way. For me, I have to say it works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go easy, Rhody, but have fun (gently). Every year during winter thaws, I would ride a Harley to my father's place to visit. Often, I would get rained on, and sometimes, I'd be riding in snow, but at least I would get some time on 2 wheels. I understand your impatience, but please take care.

Disclaimer: When I went for my motorcycle road-test, I drove 25 miles through wet slush to get to the county seat. The MC inspector told me to go home because the weather was too bad, but luckily, the other inspector was an old friend of my grandfather, so I got a road-test and a license. Really! If you have ridden 25 miles through wet slushy snow on a hot-twitchy bike to get to the road-test, there shouldn't BE a road-test. Just check the box, dummy.

Hey scorpa if you are still following, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhFUk56_Pk"

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgENe9zlQA&feature=related"

I don't know about you, but it inspired me.

A sobering reminder of the risks at 0:39 seconds into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZHooYA45I&feature=related" The video is upbeat and everyone survived the crash.

The ups and downs of racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uohBhH_G7rE&feature=related" I believe Melissa is Josh Hayes, super bike racer's girlfriend. I don't follow his career that closely so I can't say for sure.

Enjoy...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
When you return home a bit drained and shell-shocked after a ride it's a wake-up. Generally, those were solo rides, but there have been a few double-up rides and I really hated those. Getting tailgated by tractor-trailers on curvy mountain roads and getting driven into the ditch by creeps driving ambulances is NOT at all fun.

So jealous you are riding right now! We have way to much snow and ice right now :( Have fun skiing, I had an epic snowboarding trip at Whistler in January...haven't been out nearly enough this season though. Just about to watch the links you posted, they sound good!

scorpa said:
So jealous you are riding right now! We have way to much snow and ice right now :( Have fun skiing, I had an epic snowboarding trip at Whistler in January...haven't been out nearly enough this season though. Just about to watch the links you posted, they sound good!
I'd love to ride right now. I have to be happy with using my tractor and loader to remove snow. Sometimes, we have to consider different levels of "excitement". I find it exciting that I have learned to manage to handle this powerful diesel tractor, and learn how to remove snow and ice without ripping up the (weather-damaged) asphalt of my driveway.

It's not as fun as negotiating a knee-dragging sharp curve on a bike, but there is some value (and satisfaction) to calculating the response of the machinery, and using it to do what needs to get done.

turbo-1 said:
I'd love to ride right now. I have to be happy with using my tractor and loader to remove snow. Sometimes, we have to consider different levels of "excitement". I find it exciting that I have learned to manage to handle this powerful diesel tractor, and learn how to remove snow and ice without ripping up the (weather-damaged) asphalt of my driveway.

It's not as fun as negotiating a knee-dragging sharp curve on a bike, but there is some value (and satisfaction) to calculating the response of the machinery, and using it to do what needs to get done.

So uh... you've torn your drive to bits before? :wink: Anyway, I think most guys find a visceral pleasure in the mastery of large tools, and no, that is not a pun or double entendre.

nismaratwork said:
So uh... you've torn your drive to bits before? :wink: Anyway, I think most guys find a visceral pleasure in the mastery of large tools, and no, that is not a pun or double entendre.
No, just minor scraping of the asphalt surface. It's a really delicate balance though. It would be very easy to do major damage through carelessness or inattention.

turbo-1 said:
No, just minor scraping of the asphalt surface. It's a really delicate balance though. It would be very easy to do major damage through carelessness or inattention.

Yeah, I get that... pretty much the way any car gets a scrape or a dent too. I guess it just comes with the territory.

turbo-1 said:
I find it exciting that I have learned to manage to handle this powerful diesel tractor, and learn how to remove snow and ice without ripping up the (weather-damaged) asphalt of my driveway.

I enjoyed much the same measure when under employ I was granted carte blanche to mow whatever grass was growing anywhere over a 120-acre property! Fun!

Yeah... :)

Yesterday I went to the only place I would consider buying a set of new or used track day leathers, http://www.vansonleathers.com" , got measured for a suit, they take over 30 measurements, the reason is because the suit is made to work best when sitting, not standing on the bike.

I met and got acquainted with the sales/grizzled racing veteran, Mike, who I could tell when he came over by the way he walked had many racing injuries over the years. He had a great knowledge of tracks up and down the east coast, having raced at most of them over the past two decades. I tried on a one piece suit, and as I said earlier they are tight enough through the chest when standing, enough so that it bothered my breathing a bit because of my sarcoid. He said the suits have to be tight because if you fall and the suit bunches up it traps the skin underneath and can do damage, makes sense.

We looked around the shop and there were a number of suits that had survived crashes up to 160+ mph and really were in very good shape, a testament to their workmanship and materials. We discussed some of his injuries/etc... that I won't go into, but one thing he said I wanted to share. He said many racers if they have been racing long enough have deformed or missing little pinkie fingers. I asked why and he said basically it is because when you fall at high speed your little finger doesn't have the strength to crab and protect itself as other fingers do. Their answer to that problem, you guessed it, they web the gloves pinkie and second fingers together to protect it. Mike related a story of a fellow racer who sustained a nasty pinkie injury and with the season not being over and races to compete in, he shocked the orthopedic surgeon by telling him to cut if off, which he did, so he could race the following week, which he did. Josh Hayes, whose girlfriend/now wife I found out, see this video I posted in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uohBhH_G7rE&feature=related" has the ends of both pinkie fingers missing (Mike knows him personally) for this very reason. Needless to say at this point that you can see that this bunch are "different" from the average person engaged in their sport of choice, their sport of passion.

I left the shop humbled, fascinated, and a bit frightened because I was hearing the reality from a veteran racer of what really goes on in their sport. As far as a one piece suit goes, he said when you are ready, we will accommodate you. Lastly, these guys, a friend of his who is a bike drag racer came in in the middle of our conversation will talk about their passion with the same focus and attention they give to their sport, what they have to say is sobering at times, yet despite a lifetime of injuries Mike still loves the sport. he still plays hockey too, and confessed one of the few bones he hasn't broken was his collar bone. I wished him well and will be back when I need to get the suit for track day. He gave me his e-mail and I told him I would send him some links to PF, including this one, so we will see what comes of it, if anything.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Yesterday I went to the only place I would consider buying a set of new or used track day leathers, http://www.vansonleathers.com" , got measured for a suit, they take over 30 measurements, the reason is because the suit is made to work best when sitting, not standing on the bike.

I met and got acquainted with the sales/grizzled racing veteran, Mike, who I could tell when he came over by the way he walked had many racing injuries over the years. He had a great knowledge of tracks up and down the east coast, having raced at most of them over the past two decades. I tried on a one piece suit, and as I said earlier they are tight enough through the chest when standing, enough so that it bothered my breathing a bit because of my sarcoid. He said the suits have to be tight because if you fall and the suit bunches up it traps the skin underneath and can do damage, makes sense.

We looked around the shop and there were a number of suits that had survived crashes up to 160+ mph and really were in very good shape, a testament to their workmanship and materials. We discussed some of his injuries/etc... that I won't go into, but one thing he said I wanted to share. He said many racers if they have been racing long enough have deformed or missing little pinkie fingers. I asked why and he said basically it is because when you fall at high speed your little finger doesn't have the strength to crab and protect itself as other fingers do. Their answer to that problem, you guessed it, they web the gloves pinkie and second fingers together to protect it. Mike related a story of a fellow racer who sustained a nasty pinkie injury and with the season not being over and races to compete in, he shocked the orthopedic surgeon by telling him to cut if off, which he did, so he could race the following week, which he did. Josh Hayes, whose girlfriend/now wife I found out, see this video I posted in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uohBhH_G7rE&feature=related" has the ends of both pinkie fingers missing (Mike knows him personally) for this very reason. Needless to say at this point that you can see that this bunch are "different" from the average person engaged in their sport of choice, their sport of passion.

I left the shop humbled, fascinated, and a bit frightened because I was hearing the reality from a veteran racer of what really goes on in their sport. As far as a one piece suit goes, he said when you are ready, we will accommodate you. Lastly, these guys, a friend of his who is a bike drag racer came in in the middle of our conversation will talk about their passion with the same focus and attention they give to their sport, what they have to say is sobering at times, yet despite a lifetime of injuries Mike still loves the sport. he still plays hockey too, and confessed one of the few bones he hasn't broken was his collar bone. I wished him well and will be back when I need to get the suit for track day. He gave me his e-mail and I told him I would send him some links to PF, including this one, so we will see what comes of it, if anything.

Rhody...

Worn pinkies... um, I'll take my leather in titanium, ceramic, and steel please! :biggrin:

Seriously though, that sounds absolutely amazing... nothing beats true craftsmanship when it comes to quality.

A follow on to my last post, Mike told me of a long time fellow racer who sadly lost his leg below the knee, and after rehabilitation was fitted for an artificial leg. Special accomodations were made so he could race again, which he did. Eventually, he had an on track incident, and his artificial leg was twisted 180% degrees backwards after he crashed. The track safety support person approached him and asked if he was alright, seeing his leg twisted around he was not trying to upset the racer any more than he could.

Obviously, he did not know Mike's friend had an artificial lower leg, he smiled at the safety person, and said, yeah it's no big deal, grabbed his lower limb and twisted it back to it's normal position. The track worker immediately passed out, so both the racer and safety person needed attention that day. True story, or so I was told by Mike. Sadistic, these racers came be at times, no ?

Rhody...

P.S. And what say you Turbo to both of these stories, any comments ?

Luckily, I have avoided being ground into the asphalt. My only two unintended dismounts were due to accidentally wheelying over backward, and those were many years ago on a sporty 2-stroke.

turbo-1 said:
Luckily, I have avoided being ground into the asphalt. My only two unintended dismounts were due to accidentally wheelying over backward, and those were many years ago on a sporty 2-stroke.

re bold: :rofl:

That's a fantastic way to put it :tongue2:

@Rhody: :bugeye: I understand the love of a sport, but... oh man. I really would prefer to not have my leg or anything else friction-burned and torn.

A follow up, Josh Hayes wife, Melissa Paris, see link http://www.motoracereports.com/2578/melissa-paris-ready-to-play-hard-ball-for-2010.html" has a story of a finger injury as well:
The crash was so frustrating because it happened so fast… I had absolutely no warning. It was really heart-breaking even without getting hurt. I think it took a week or so for the pain of the shattered finger to catch up with my heart break!

How is your recovery coming along on your surgery and when do you expect to be back on the grid?

Melissa Paris: The recovery is never fast enough. I hate when you have to just let nature do its thing, because it’s so slow. We’re just waiting to see if the bone grows and fills in where I lost some pieces. Maybe we might have to go back and trim the tip of my finger off.

Once Melissa said that, she is hooked on racing big time, I wasn't expecting to find this post, but at least now I can say this addiction is NOT gender biased, at least not in my opinion... Wow...

Rhody... :redface: :uhh:

P.S. I will, gulp, be buying a pair of webbed racing gloves, that is for sure. After speaking with Matt and reading these stories I am befuddled why they are not mandatory race gear. Seems like a no brainer to me. This story is almost a year old, so hopefully Melissa is healed and back in form.

:bugeye: :

That is my summary of the "pinkie grinding" effect. Part of me is horrified, and the rest is thinking, "that must be a LOT of fun if grinding off a pinkie is just par for the course..."

You're scrambling my delicate noggin!

Ski racers suffer from hand injuries, too. Not grinding off of fingertips, but sprains and dislocations of little finger or thumb are pretty common. An awkward fall at high speed on hard-pack can wreck your day.

I dig a little digging and came up with two video's interviewing Josh Hayes in a laid back question and answer session in 2009. He strikes me as calm, matter of fact and for the rigor's he has endured over the years, has his head screwed on pretty well. More about that later. This post will work best if you watch the video's, then give your opinion of my opinion. I hope the makes sense... Anyway, videos first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNaNO4jeBBs&feature=related"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHPqowlpLM&feature=related"

The main thing I took from his video's was how he described learning the track, braking markers, and early as a racer how he was able to string one corner, then multiple corners, then multiple laps until finally a whole race with intensity through practice and visualization. He says he works harder than most to learn a new track, and admits to being overwhelmed at times with things to remember and do, instead relying on his years of track experience and muscle memory from other race track sections. Something I like to refer to as "flow with intensity". There were a few times he exposed his hands, this video was made over two years ago.

I didn't notice missing pinkie finger ends, but it is now 2011 so that may have changed.

Josh is technical, listens to his data folks, for instance he normally only uses 105 mm of the 125 mm of travel fork travel available. Whereas, in the Ulster 200 video's I posted a few posts ago, on-board fork camera revealed on a couple of bikes that the little ring that showed fork travel was bottomed out on two of the top rider's bike's. Hayes has a "feel" for the bike, for the most part does not use traction control, wheelie control on his Yamaha, mainly because the cross plane crank delivers the power so smoothly as compared to other bikes that fire two cylinders simultaneously, which makes for bigger power pulses and potential to upset the chassis.

Note: at 6:50 in the second video how he leaves a "darkie" on the track, but does not appear to push the front or slide the rear, which is just about the most perfect fast way to negotiate the corner. I like his easy going style, honestly, however, underneath that is a heart of a fierce competitor, without it he never would have been 2010 AMA Superbike champ. His wife Melissa appears to have that same drive as well.

Rhody... :wink:

turbo-1 said:
Ski racers suffer from hand injuries, too. Not grinding off of fingertips, but sprains and dislocations of little finger or thumb are pretty common. An awkward fall at high speed on hard-pack can wreck your day.

If I'm going to hurtle at speed with little protection, I'm doing it on a cycle, NOT skiis. I'd say you soft-sold the dangers of skiing frankly. By the same token, your head and a rock, or your head and the pavement... yeah... it ends badly. Of course, a biker is going to be wearing their gear, and road-tested gear... yeah, I'd definitely bike first.

I'm a swimming, fencing, martial arts guy... I like to see my pain coming. :tongue:

Grrrr... seems that the 2010 Ulster GP races that appear in posts https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3097266&postcount=92" were removed due to copyright infringement, sad, because I wanted to watch a couple of them last night.

To make amends, I have thrown you a bone, have a looks at these below, not quite as good, now I have to out and buy the 2010 races on Blu Ray, which is not a bad thing, however, it was nice to have them here on the forum.

2010 Ulster Grand Prix - Course Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAWsOwUc8g&feature=relate"

Ulster GP 2009 - Supersport race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjK9TPwJO9E&feature=related"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xde94p_crash-conor-cummins-rish-road-racin_auto"

2010 Ulster Grand Prix - Conor Cummins Interview

P.S. The crash above was not the reason he was hospitalized, he http://www.crash.net/road+racing/news/160701/2/injured_conor_cummins_confirms_season_is_over.html" in the Senior TT at the Isle on Mann. No video available.
Cummins suffered a back injury, broken arm, dislocated knee and bruising to his lungs when his McAdoo Kawasaki Superbike crashed at the high speed Verandah section of the Mountain course during Friday's Senior TT.
It's too bad they pulled those other video's they were awesome.

Rhody...:grumpy: :mad:

rhody said:
Grrrr... seems that the 2010 Ulster GP races that appear in posts https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3097266&postcount=92" were removed due to copyright infringement, sad, because I wanted to watch a couple of them last night.

To make amends, I have thrown you a bone, have a looks at these below, not quite as good, now I have to out and buy the 2010 races on Blu Ray, which is not a bad thing, however, it was nice to have them here on the forum.

2010 Ulster Grand Prix - Course Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAWsOwUc8g&feature=relate"

Ulster GP 2009 - Supersport race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjK9TPwJO9E&feature=related"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xde94p_crash-conor-cummins-rish-road-racin_auto"

2010 Ulster Grand Prix - Conor Cummins Interview

P.S. The crash above was not the reason he was hospitalized, he http://www.crash.net/road+racing/news/160701/2/injured_conor_cummins_confirms_season_is_over.html" in the Senior TT at the Isle on Mann. No video available.
It's too bad they pulled those other video's they were awesome.

Rhody...:grumpy: :mad:

Instant email notifications... and things...

I saw them, and enjoyed them. These are good too!

edit: Oh, and dislocated knee is one of the most viscerally UGLY injuries, even if it can be quite minor.

It has been since Feb 22, where have I been ? Well nismara, turbo you are going to like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8m8i6JqOg&feature=related"). I would love to have this car, the head to head versus bike is interesting, but, this little car beats the fastest car in the world (Bugatti Veyhron) around this small track by 1.7 seconds, now that in itself is phenomenal. Too bad they cost 225,000 $

Rhody... :smile:

P.S. The hayabusa engines can easily be modified to deliver almost 1000 hp (500 per engine) with a set of turbo's, but the Atom's chassis, brake and suspension systems could probably not handle the load. Smart move on Atom's part, however, because a monster Atom cannot possibly be far behind this example. God knows what that will cost.

Oh, and one more thing, the Atom only weighs in at 1213 lbs, amazing. It's secret is a flat power curve with amazing torque, making the handling manageable, production of the 25 units is complete and all are sold.

One more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglLi6nZnZU&feature=player_embedded#at=249" for you, a little campy (the announcer that is) but the riding scenes are good.

Just ordered a Contour HD 1080p wearable camera from Amazon, should be interesting when coupled to the new bike, and come in handy when selling OEM parts from the bike which were replaced by custom ones. Much easier than uploading pictures, a few minutes of high res video and all items can easily be seen inspected by people wanting to buy parts. If this HD camera works as anticipated I will buy a second one for track day and riding in general. There may be other uses for it I haven't even dreamed of yet.

Rhody... :biggrin:

P.S. Anyone have one already and haven any interesting video's posted or interesting stories to tell, we are all ears...

Wow... faster than the Veyhron... Oooooooooh.

I love it all, and if you strapped me to one I'd leave a trail of tears and worse fluids in my wake.

That's bloody FAST!

Well, with the weather in the 50's and rain on the way, but not quite here I took the FJR out for a 40 mile loop, near where I live mostly through the woods, secondary roads. The interesting part comes when about 200 degrees behind me at a 10 degree angle about 15 feet above my head, a Harris hawk barely cuts in front of me, flying about 35 mph, almost matching my speed I look up at he sees me and flares off to the right, I get a good look at his tail feathers and am pretty sure it was a Harris.

The whole episode took less than one quarter of a second. I didn't think much about it at first, but since I have been taken brain training to extends my peripheral view by 15 to 30% wonder if I would have seen it without it. I have been at it about 3 weeks now and taken 8.5 hours of it in 40 minute chunks, and seen some modest, if uneven improvement in my focus and ability to get the right responses. Time will tell after another two months. With that small observation today, I would say I am off to a good start. I just took a quick gander at pics (see thumbnail) of the bird, yep, that's what I saw, beautiful BTW. Not bad for a quarter second glimpse.

Rhody... :wink:

Attachments

• Harris.JPG
    Harris.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 328
Hawk

Attachments

• hawk evil.jpg
    hawk evil.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 379
Ahhh raptors... interesting and lovely birds.

Interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5v36v2zpqQ" of contour, drift and gopro camera's 730, 1080p, I kind of like the Drift's color and balance (daytime) but bet it could be achieved with filters, and I like the contour's night rendering, everyone's eye are different so I realize what may suit me may not suit others. Interesting side by side tests on bike trails and at night. Opinions are welcomed.

I just did a quick tally of the things added to the bike and the other changes, paint, powder coat of existing parts, and came up with the number, thirty two . That blew me away a bit, I shouldn't have been surprised, because this little project has taken four months, and will be complete in about a week and a half. I will then post the final list of parts, and modifications to the beast, as well as some some professional photos, and maybe a video if I can get the hang of editing with the new Contour HD Camera.

While on the subject of HD Video, here are a few examples of the GoPro and Contour camera's with the BMW on track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSZSJlS59cY&feature=related"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwIYq0-3Ec"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTgF8H3B9I&feature=related"

On my last ride over the weekend with the FJR I did some testing, have been having intermittent sudden up/down, left/right positional vertigo. To see if this was going to hinder and endanger my riding the new faster bike, I practiced two or three maximum takeoff through 2nd gear acceleration runs and max braking exercises. So far, knock on wood, am good to go. I didn't put my carcass flush on the tank however as I would on the track, however. If I get bad vertigo while pushing the nausea could mean puking :yuck:, not a fun thought to consider while wearing a helmet.

http://contour.com/stories/1011011440-ktt-infineon-stanton"
http://contour.com/stories/1011011540-ktt-infineon-stanton"

Finally, Paul Taylor of Taylor Racing shows the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHOVzFJXYQ&feature=related" to install my exhaust (Turbo, you might like this, hehe). After seeing this video for the first time, I can see where my mechanic may have made a small mistake or two, which could have caused fitment problems that he had while installing the exhaust for the first time. I sent the video to him to see if he used the brackets/spacers, etc... the correct way. Of course Paul, who built the system makes it look easy because he designed and built the system, and some of his installation tricks are not evident in the instructions provided.

Here is a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMKjcMjSI8" of the HP/Torque Comparison in rain/sport and race mode. One thing I learned from Paul Taylor video is that backfire spit unburned fuel igniting sound will smooth itself out after 50 miles of riding as the fuel injection system self adjusts to the new geometry and airflow of the Taylor Exhaust.

Rhody... :tongue:

Rhody... you post the sexiest things, and damn if those aren't amazing. I think the one on the right seems more stable in terms of suspension, but the middle seems to take the biggest leans and remain stable.

I like that point of view a LOT, especially in HD.

Details... details. I just ordered a carbon fiber front fender from an after market supplier in Japan of all places, hope it gets here in the next two weeks, shipping was steep too, but cheaper than BMW's offering, even with shop discount.

I want to take a minute an talk about the bikes ability to "stick" to the pavement, specifically at the rear wheel, first, have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbiIn0biadY&feature=related", rather old but it has a sequence that makes my point perfectly. Fast forward to 5:50 to about 5:57, and you will see the R1's rear frame flexing from side to side under corner loads. Now checkout the thumbnail at the bottom of the post. This is from Yamaha MotoGP's Team's evolution of stiffness changes from 2004 - 2009. Notice how vertical and torsional stiffness has gradually risen since 2007 - 2009, and how lateral stiffness had been relaxed and raised just a bit especially in the past two years. Now picture the video from 5:50 - 5:57 in your mind once again. The secret of higher corner speed lies in the ability of the frame to flex from side to side (longitudinal force). Yamaha is known for its ability to carry more corner speed than just about another other bike manufacturer on the circuit, it rewards a rider who is smooth and almost Zen like at the controls, Someone like World MotoGP Champs Valentino Rossi and the newly crowned Jorge Lorenzo in 2010. A second benefit is the bikes ability to suppress "chatter" which is when the front and rear suspension don't smoothly follow row and bumps, which slows the cornering and causes the riders to feel less than confident while pushing it on the track.

I can't prove this because I don't have the data like I do for the Yamaha M1 GP bike, but BMW has had chatter problems with my 1000RR, and I am told that they have addressed and fixed most of the "chatter" issues with this years model. That will have to wait to be seen, but if I experience chatter of any sort from hard braking and/or row and bumps on the track or on the street I will report back.

edit: I almost forgot, got the Contour HD camera today, no instructions, everything is simple and instinctive, got extra battery and 16 gb SD card, those things are so tiny, it is hard to believe that 16 GB of info can fit on them, amazing. Once I get a couple of decent mounts I will post some pics and movies of some on my antics. It should be an interesting learning experience.

Attachments

• frame stiffness Yamaha MotoGP.JPG
    frame stiffness Yamaha MotoGP.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 399
rhody said:
Details... details. I just ordered a carbon fiber front fender from an after market supplier in Japan of all places, hope it gets here in the next two weeks, shipping was steep too, but cheaper than BMW's offering, even with shop discount.

I want to take a minute an talk about the bikes ability to "stick" to the pavement, specifically at the rear wheel, first, have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbiIn0biadY&feature=related", rather old but it has a sequence that makes my point perfectly. Fast forward to 5:50 to about 5:57, and you will see the R1's rear frame flexing from side to side under corner loads. Now checkout the thumbnail at the bottom of the post. This is from Yamaha MotoGP's Team's evolution of stiffness changes from 2004 - 2009. Notice how vertical and torsional stiffness has gradually risen since 2007 - 2009, and how lateral stiffness had been relaxed and raised just a bit especially in the past two years. Now picture the video from 5:50 - 5:57 in your mind once again. The secret of higher corner speed lies in the ability of the frame to flex from side to side (longitudinal force). Yamaha is known for its ability to carry more corner speed than just about another other bike manufacturer on the circuit, it rewards a rider who is smooth and almost Zen like at the controls, Someone like World MotoGP Champs Valentino Rossi and the newly crowned Jorge Lorenzo in 2010. A second benefit is the bikes ability to suppress "chatter" which is when the front and rear suspension don't smoothly follow row and bumps, which slows the cornering and causes the riders to feel less than confident while pushing it on the track.

I can't prove this because I don't have the data like I do for the Yamaha M1 GP bike, but BMW has had chatter problems with my 1000RR, and I am told that they have addressed and fixed most of the "chatter" issues with this years model. That will have to wait to be seen, but if I experience chatter of any sort from hard braking and/or row and bumps on the track or on the street I will report back.

Hmmm... chatter sounds like it could lead to a loss of control... such a mild name! :rofl:

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm... chatter sounds like it could lead to a loss of control... such a mild name! :rofl:
Rhythmic variations in steering control or traction are NOT good on two wheels. Thus the attention paid to chassis and suspension to make the tires work together in demanding conditions.

turbo-1 said:
Rhythmic variations in steering control or traction are NOT good on two wheels. Thus the attention paid to chassis and suspension to make the tires work together in demanding conditions.

So... what might be called a 'potentially fatal oscillation' is reduced to, "chatter"?!

I love your bikes guys, but you're out of your minds, you know that right? :rofl: I'd sooner try to tame a wild horse approaching it only from behind, armed only with twine.

nismaratwork said:
So... what might be called a 'potentially fatal oscillation' is reduced to, "chatter"?!
Well, essentially.

nismaratwork said:
I love your bikes guys, but you're out of your minds, you know that right? :rofl: I'd sooner try to tame a wild horse approaching it only from behind, armed only with twine.
When I was into sport bikes, I did a lot of crazy stuff. When I started hopping up Harley cruisers (Fat 16" wheel on the back, really skinny little tire on a 21" laced wheel in the front), it was beyond crazy in some respects. There is a tremendous imbalance in tire-patch areas in these designs, and given that there is so much weight-transfer to the front during braking, and so little contact-area in the front, ... well, you can imagine the stuff that a home-builder might have to deal with.