Seeing Earth's Formation - Can We?

• Thread starter locutus7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using telescopes and hypothetical gravitic detectors to view the formation and development of our planet by looking back in time. However, it is concluded that this is not possible due to the limitations of the speed of light and the expansion of the universe. The conversation also touches on the idea of gravitational lensing and a closed, curved universe, but these possibilities are deemed unlikely.
locutus7
First time poster and non-cosmologist.

Why can't we use telescopy (across the EM spectrum) to view the formation and development of our planet? Let me explain by laying out some assumptions (correct them if they are inaccurate).

- When we use telescopes (again, I mean x-ray, radio, visual, etc) to capture photons from distant stellar objects, we are in a sense looking back in time. "seeing" a galaxy 10 billion LY away is seeing it as it was 10 billion years ago.

- The photons we collect with our telescopes vary in intensity based on distance and if they are emitted (from a star) or reflected (off a planet). Thus we cannot "see" planets that are too distant as the reflected EM radiation is weaker than that emitted by a stellar object.

- In this scenario we will assume all particles travel not to exceed lightspeed, but let us assume that we may discover other particles such as gravitons that will enhance our capabilities (so we might eventually see images of planets light years away).

- Universe is expanding.

Okay, is it possible, if we could calculate which direction to look, that we could point all of our telescopes (and hypothetical gravitic detectors) to look out 4 billion light years and see the actual formation of our solar system, which would be in a different location than now because of inflation?

And if so, could we look out 2 billion light years (time and distance) and see our nascent planet Earth, and then 1 billion LY and so on and watch our actual planet develop?

Again, assuming an improvement in technology, could this be accomplished, or is my logic flawed?

Thanx in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
Hey and welcome to PF.

I'm not sure why you think you would find an image of our own Earth "out there" somewhere. The EM radiation the left the Earth since the beginning of its existence has been faithfully traveling outwards away from it in a spherical shell at precisely the speed of light. Therefore, if you wanted to see this radiation in our current epoch, you would need to turn it around somehow. Of course, we can't well believe there to be a giant mirror out there, but it is, at least theoretically, possible that the light could come back to use via gravitational lensing.

So yes it is possible that we could receive a photon from the early Earth if it was very fortuitously gravitationally lensed such that it came back to the Earth's present position. The expansion of the universe isn't really important here.

(Note: Gravitational waves, i.e gravitons, travel at the speed of light)

Thanx, Nabeshin, for replying. I wish I could draw an illustration of what I mean. Basically, if our Earth was in position X two billion years ago, and is now in position Y because space expanded and everything is flying away from each other.

So the reflected photons, gravitons, whatever-trons from Earth X travel 2 billion light years (in a spherical front) and should be able to be captured by our various instruments on or near Earth Y (our current earth), assuming they were sufficiently sensitive.

Thus from Earth we could see the EM emissions from our planet long ago and far away. And if you followed this reasoning to its conclusion, instruments from our current earth, Earth in position Y could view Earth 1 million years ago - 1 million LY away- (we will call it position Z Earth because it would be further from Earth Y as it is more recent and thus more distant due to accelerating space expansion).

In other words, we are viewing an image of Earth 1 million years ago and if our instruments were super-advanced, we might see dinosaurs, etc. Truly looking back in time at our earth.

How is this flawed? I really want to know, and will try to clarify if my point is unclear.

Last edited:
locutus7 said:
So the reflected photons, gravitons, whatever-trons from Earth X travel 2 billion light years (in a spherical front) and should be able to be captured by our various instruments on or near Earth Y (our current earth), assuming they were sufficiently sensitive.
No, they can't.

This makes for a nice sci-fi setting where the author can hand-wave the laws of physics goodbye. It is just that, sci-fi. Those photons are long gone, never to be seen again. The only possible exceptions are an fortuitous arrangement of gravitational lenses that curves the light back to us, and a closed, curved universe (some of those remote stars we see is our sun). The former is not just fortuitous, it is outrageously fortuitous. The latter was deemed a remote possibility decades ago, but not any longer. As far as we can tell the universe is flat and very, very big.

This thread strongly violates the rules of this forum and is therefore locked.

1. How did the Earth form?

The Earth is believed to have formed approximately 4.5 billion years ago through a process called accretion. This is when smaller particles, such as dust and gas, clumped together due to gravity to form larger bodies, including our planet. As these bodies collided, they continued to grow and eventually formed the Earth as we know it.

2. Can we see the Earth's formation?

While we cannot directly observe the Earth's formation, scientists study the formation of other planets and bodies in our solar system to understand the processes that likely occurred during the formation of our own planet. Additionally, we can study the composition of rocks on Earth and meteorites to gain insight into the early stages of our planet's formation.

3. What evidence supports the theory of Earth's formation?

There are several lines of evidence that support the theory of Earth's formation through accretion. These include the similar composition of the Earth and other inner planets, the presence of heavy elements on Earth's surface, and the distribution of elements throughout our solar system. Additionally, computer simulations and modeling also support this theory.

4. How long did the Earth take to form?

The Earth is estimated to have taken approximately 10-20 million years to form through accretion. This may seem like a long time, but in the context of the Earth's 4.5 billion year history, it is relatively short. The exact timeline is difficult to determine due to the limited evidence available and the complex processes involved in the Earth's formation.

5. Could the Earth's formation have happened differently?

It is certainly possible that the Earth's formation could have occurred differently. Our current understanding is based on the evidence we have, but as new discoveries are made and technology advances, our theories and understanding may change. Additionally, the formation of other planets and bodies in our solar system may differ from the Earth's, further expanding our understanding of how planets are formed.