Coulomb's Law - Line of Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the electric field at a specific point from a line of charge with uniform density. The equations and attempts at a solution are shared, with the final expression for the electric field being calculated using integration. The issue of getting the incorrect direction for the answer vector is resolved by realizing a missing component in the integral.
WesleyPipes
Well, I am raging over my homework and not even going to turn it in because I can't complete enough of it. I really just need to figure this problem out so I don't feel as bad about it. I know this shouldn't be as hard as I am making it, but all examples only have answers containing a single-direction vector.

Homework Statement

A line of charge with uniform density Pl=8(uC/m) exists in air along the z-axis between z=0 and z=5 cm. Find E at (0,10cm,0).

Homework Equations

R = y(.1)-z(z) --- really Vector(R) = Yhat(.1)-Zhat(z)
Mag(R) = sqrt(.01+z^2)
Rhat' = Vector(R)/Mag(R)

Line Distribution:
E=(1/(4*Pi*Epsilon))*Integral(z=0 to z=0.05)[Rhat'*(Pl)/Mag(R)^2]dL

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry if the equations are ridiculously hard to read.

Each time I try this, I get an answer in the +y direction when I feel like the answer vector should be in the (-z,+y) direction.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your final expression for E, dL is dz. Here's the Latex version of that expression incorporating all of your other results.

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\,\int_{0}^{.05}\frac{\Pi\hat{R}}{R^2}\,dz[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\,\int_{0}^{.05}\frac{\Pi(0.1\hat{y}-z\hat{z})}{R^3}\,dz[/tex][tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\,\int_{0}^{.05}\frac{\Pi(0.1\hat{y}-z\hat{z})}{(0.01+z^2)^{3/2}}\,dz[/tex]​
This splits into the difference of two integrals.

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\Pi}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(0.1\hat{y}\,\int_{0}^{.05}\frac{1}{(0.01+z^2)^{3/2}}\,dz\ -\hat{z}\,\int_{0}^{.05}\frac{z}{(0.01+z^2)^{3/2}}\,dz\right)[/tex]

which gives the two components you want.

Thanks, knew I was missing something simple. I feel a lot better now haha.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is a "line of charge" in Coulomb's Law?

A line of charge is an imaginary line along which a distribution of charge is concentrated. It is used in Coulomb's Law to calculate the electric field at a point near the line of charge.

3. How is the electric field calculated for a line of charge?

The electric field at a point near a line of charge can be calculated using the formula E = (k * λ) / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density of the line, and r is the distance from the point to the line of charge.

4. What is the direction of the electric field for a line of charge?

The electric field for a line of charge is always perpendicular to the line of charge at any given point. The direction of the field depends on the sign of the charge on the line. If the charge is positive, the field points away from the line, and if the charge is negative, the field points towards the line.

5. How does the electric field vary for different positions on a line of charge?

The electric field for a line of charge varies with distance from the line. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases. The field is strongest at points closest to the line of charge and weakest at points furthest away.