What are the integrals for a square with complex number corners?

In summary, the question asks for the integral of 1/z along a square curve with corners 1+i, -1+i, -1-i, and 1-i traversed clockwise and anti-clockwise. The solution involves finding the derivatives of each line, integrating each one separately, and using substitution to solve them. The final answer will be in the form of log(*) with different values for *.
jaci55555
find the integral int(1/z)dz along r for the curve:
square with corners 1+i, -1+i, -1-i, 1-i
traversed clockwise and anti-clockwise

Homework Equations

i know that clockwise will be the -(int) of the anticlockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

the first line = (1-2t)+i it's derivative -2
the second line = -1+i(1-2t) it's derivative -2i
the third line = (-1+2t)-i it's derivative 2
the fourth line = i(2t-1)+1 it's derivative 2i

so integrating each line separately i get:
4x(int[0-1]((2i+4t-2)/(2-4t-4t^2))dt)
= 8(int[0-1](1/(1-2t+2t^2))dt + int[0-1]((2t-1)/(1-2t+2t^2)dt)

now i am just stuck with the integration
please help me complete this

Physics news on Phys.org
They will all look like log(*)

1. What are complex number integrals?

Complex number integrals are integrals that involve complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. These integrals are used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. How do you solve complex number integrals?

The process for solving complex number integrals is similar to solving regular integrals. First, the integral is converted into a form that can be easily integrated. Then, the integral is evaluated using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the Cauchy integral formula.

3. What is the significance of complex number integrals?

Complex number integrals have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, to calculate areas and volumes of complex shapes, and to find solutions to differential equations with complex coefficients.

4. Can complex number integrals have complex-valued solutions?

Yes, complex number integrals can have complex-valued solutions. This is because complex numbers can have both real and imaginary components, so the solution to a complex number integral may be a complex number.

5. Are there any special properties of complex number integrals?

Yes, complex number integrals have some unique properties that differ from regular integrals involving only real numbers. For example, the residue theorem can be used to calculate complex number integrals around closed curves, and complex number integrals can exhibit branch cuts and singularities that do not appear in real integrals.