Parallelogram Rule for combining forces (moments)

In summary, when two forces are acting on an object, their lines can be projected to find a point of intersection, where no moment is caused by the forces. This means that any resultant force must also project through this point. By considering the angle of the resultant force, it can be determined that the resultant force must lie on a certain line. This is explained in the parallelogram rule in Mechanics. The book assumes that any force projecting through the point of intersection and at a certain angle and magnitude can be the resultant force, but there is no proof for this assumption. It is not necessary for future exams, but the speaker doesn't like to make assumptions without understanding the fundamental reasoning behind them.
HuaYongLi
(2 dimensions.)
Given 2 forces acting on an object (not modeled as particle), you can project their lines so that you can find a point of intersection - X.
On this point of intersection exists no moment caused by the 2 forces since the line action makes 0 degrees with the forces. It follows that any resultant force representing the 2 forces must project through this point X also.
Combining this with the knowledge of the angle of a resultant force, you can find that any resultant force must be on a certain line. (This is the result of constraints of the resultant's angle and the fact it has go through a point X.)
This is basically how my Mechanics book explains the parallelogram rule.
I see that a resultant force must project through X and be at a certain angle.
What I don't get is that the book seems to assume that any force projecting through X and at certain angle and magnitude can be the resultant force.
Is there a proof of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you ever going to need a proof of this obscurity?

No, not for any exams in the future. But I don't like assumptions, I'm OK if the assumption if fundamental or it can't be explained with my current knowledge.

1. What is the Parallelogram Rule for combining forces (moments)?

The Parallelogram Rule is a graphical method used to combine two or more forces (or moments) acting on a body. It is based on the principle that the resultant of two forces can be found by constructing a parallelogram using the two forces as adjacent sides, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the magnitude and direction of the resultant.

2. When is the Parallelogram Rule used in physics?

The Parallelogram Rule is commonly used in physics when multiple forces are acting on a body and the overall effect of these forces needs to be determined. It is also used in mechanics to calculate the moment of a force about a point.

3. Can the Parallelogram Rule be used for non-parallel forces?

No, the Parallelogram Rule can only be used for parallel forces. If the forces are not parallel, then the Triangle Rule or the Polygon Rule must be used instead.

4. How do you calculate the resultant force using the Parallelogram Rule?

To calculate the resultant force using the Parallelogram Rule, draw a parallelogram with the two forces as adjacent sides. Then, complete the parallelogram by drawing a diagonal. The length and direction of the diagonal line represents the resultant force.

5. Are there any limitations to the Parallelogram Rule?

One limitation of the Parallelogram Rule is that it can only be used for two or more coplanar forces. Additionally, it assumes that the forces are acting on a rigid body and that the body is in equilibrium. It also does not take into account the effects of friction or other external forces.