A question in statistical physics

In summary, the gas molecules of mass m are in thermodynamic equilibrium at a temperature T. If v_{x},v_{y},v_{z} are the components of velocity v, then the mean value of (v_{x}-{\alpha} {v_{y}}+{\beta} {v_{z}})^2 is: a.(1+\alpha^2+\beta^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}b.(1-\alpha^2+\beta^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}c.(\beta^2-\alpha^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}
shakgoku
1. A gas molecules of mass m are in thermodynamic equilibrium at a temperature T.
If [tex]v_{x},v_{y},v_{z}[/tex] are the components of velocity v, then the mean value of [tex](v_{x}-{\alpha} {v_{y}}+{\beta} {v_{z}})^2[/tex] is:

a.[tex](1+\alpha^2+\beta^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}[/tex]

b.[tex](1-\alpha^2+\beta^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}[/tex]

c. [tex](\beta^2-\alpha^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}[/tex]

d.[tex](\alpha^2+\beta^2)\frac{k_{b}T}{m}[/tex]

Homework Equations

:[/B]
[tex][v_{rms} \sqrt{\frac{3k_{b}T}{m}}[/tex]

[tex]K.E = \frac{3k_{b}T}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Easiest way to do this: Multiply out [tex]
(v_{x}-{\alpha} {v_{y}}+{\beta} {v_{z}})^2
[/tex]. Find each expectation value separately, add them up.

Mike Pemulis said:
Easiest way to do this: Multiply out [tex]
(v_{x}-{\alpha} {v_{y}}+{\beta} {v_{z}})^2
[/tex]. Find each expectation value separately, add them up.

how to find expectation values?

Sorry, I meant mean value -- same thing.

"Okay, how do I find mean values?"

Good question, which can be answered in a couple of different ways. Can I ask what level you are? Undergrad, grad? Is this a chemistry or physics class?

Mike Pemulis said:
Sorry, I meant mean value -- same thing.

"Okay, how do I find mean values?"

Good question, which can be answered in a couple of different ways. Can I ask what level you are? Undergrad, grad? Is this a chemistry or physics class?

undergrad physics

Okay, so hopefully your book has a derivation of vrms. Take a look at that; it should provide some clues of how to derive vx2, vy2, and vz2.

One hint from me: What is vrms, in terms of the components of velocity? Do you we expect the mean values of the components to be different from each other? In other words, is there anything special about the x-direction that would imply that vx2 is different from vy2?

Now, none of this helps you find the cross-terms, only the squared terms. Try to get the squared terms first, and then we can move on.

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods and probability theory to study the behavior of systems with a large number of particles. It aims to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of a system based on the behavior of its individual particles.

2. How is statistical physics used in real-life applications?

Statistical physics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used to model the behavior of gases, understand phase transitions, and predict the properties of materials. It is also used in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and computer simulations.

3. What are some key statistical concepts in statistical physics?

Some key statistical concepts in statistical physics include entropy, energy, temperature, and fluctuations. Entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system, while energy is the ability to do work. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, and fluctuations refer to the random changes in a system's properties.

4. What is the difference between statistical physics and thermodynamics?

Statistical physics and thermodynamics are closely related fields, but there are some key differences. Thermodynamics focuses on the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, without considering the behavior of individual particles. In contrast, statistical physics takes into account the behavior of individual particles to understand the macroscopic properties of a system.

5. How does statistical physics relate to quantum mechanics?

Statistical physics and quantum mechanics are both fundamental theories in physics, and they are closely related. Statistical physics uses the principles of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a system, while quantum mechanics provides a framework for understanding the microscopic behavior of particles. Statistical physics also helps to bridge the gap between the microscopic world of quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world of classical mechanics.