Bush ignorance of his own marriage amendment

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ignorance
In summary: It would be helpful for our readers if we provided the source for the quotes.Citation: Bush ignorance of his own "marriage" amendment: "I don't know" from TV network.
Loren Booda
Bush ignorance of his own "marriage" amendment

When asked recently whether his proposed amendment to define marriage as a union between one man and one woman allowed for civil unions in general - which he had publicly supported - President Bush said he didn't know!

Physics news on Phys.org
Source, link, citation, etc...?

While I agree that gay couples shouldn't be married in church. I think the law should acknowledge them and be given the same rights as a straight couple.

russ,

With all of the quotes being thrown at me these past few days, I'm afraid that I have to cite the source generally, as from a television network. I admire President Bush for his support of civil unions, and would be disappointed if he were twisted by the far right to reverse himself.

I'd be really surprised if Bush ssaid he "didn't know" in the context Loren Booda indicates he did. This was one of the issues of the campaign for gosh sakes! Even if his position was on the fence - and it wasn't - I doubt Bush would have presented such an unpolished response as just suggested in the context of a full answer.

... and least I'm misunderstood. Bush could have sai "I don't know" - but he could have said "I don't know" in the context of whether the higher courts might interpert the marriage amendments. In that context - "I don't know" is the ONLY reasonable response.

Loren Booda said:
russ,

With all of the quotes being thrown at me these past few days, I'm afraid that I have to cite the source generally, as from a television network. I admire President Bush for his support of civil unions, and would be disappointed if he were twisted by the far right to reverse himself.
Fair enough - I'm not questioning that he said it (I am quite aware that he's inarticulate and absent-minded), I just like to see context.

What is the "Bush marriage amendment"?

The "Bush marriage amendment" refers to a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution that would define marriage as between one man and one woman, effectively banning same-sex marriage.

Why is there controversy surrounding the "Bush marriage amendment"?

The controversy surrounding the "Bush marriage amendment" stems from the fact that it is seen as discriminatory towards the LGBTQ+ community and goes against the principle of equal rights for all individuals.

Did President Bush support the "Bush marriage amendment"?

Yes, President George W. Bush publicly supported the "Bush marriage amendment" and called for its passage during his re-election campaign in 2004.

Was the "Bush marriage amendment" ever passed?

No, the "Bush marriage amendment" was never passed. It was introduced in Congress multiple times but failed to garner enough support to be ratified as an amendment to the Constitution.

Why is it said that President Bush was ignorant of his own "Bush marriage amendment"?

Some critics believe that President Bush was not fully aware of the implications and consequences of the "Bush marriage amendment" and that it was primarily used as a political tool to appeal to conservative voters during his re-election campaign.