Electronic Signal and System problem: Ratio of signal energy

In summary, the problem involves inputting a signal x(t) into a perfect lowpass filter with frequency response H(ω). The filter has a bandwidth of BHz and a passband gain of 1. The task is to calculate the ratio of the output signal energy to the input signal energy for B = (2πT)^-1 Hz. The input signal is given by x(t) = Ae^(-|t|/T). The Fourier transform for this case is |x(jω)| = A/(1+jω). The output energy is determined by integrating |xo(jω)|^2 over the interval 0<|ω|<B, where xo(jω) = x(jω)H(jω
nidhalc

Homework Statement

x(t) is input into a perfect lowpass filter with frequency response H(ω), having a bandwidth of BHz and a passband gain of 1. For B = (2πT)-1 Hz, calculate the ratio of the output signal energy to the input signal energy.

Homework Equations

x(t) = Ae-|t|/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I got |x(jω)| = A/(1+jω)
Using input energy Wi = (1/pi)[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]0|x(jω)|2 I got Wi to be A2/2

The output energy Wo = (1/pi)[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]0|xo(jω)|2, where xo(jω) = X(jω)H(jω)

but I'm unable to find any equation which links the frequency response to the bandwidth in order to get the output energy. I have that |H(ω)| = gain which in this instance is = 1. Is that all I need? I've a feeling I'm missing something very basic here. Any hints or clues appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
As it refers to it being a perfect low pass filter could you take it as being ideal and so xo(jω) = x(jω) and then use the bandwidth as the interval over which you're integrating, so you'd be integrating according to 0<|ω| < B? Sound right to anyone?

Yes that's what is expected here.

One question though. Is your signal [itex]A e^{-|t|/T}[/itex] for all t, or is it [itex]A\,u(t)\,e^{-t/T}[/itex]?

Your Fourier transform seems to be that of the latter (but with T=1).

Thank you so much for getting back to me. It never specified so I took t>0. Would the Fourier transform still be correct were that the case? In the Fourier transform examples we were given we were always given t>0.

There is a difference between the Fourier integral and the Fourier transform. For transient inputs/outputs (t>= 0) it's the Fourier integral - used when the input is a single pulse, like yours. The Fourier transform covers all t and is analogous to the two-sided Laplace transform.

nidhalc said:
Thank you so much for getting back to me. It never specified so I took t>0. Would the Fourier transform still be correct were that the case? In the Fourier transform examples we were given we were always given t>0.

Why would they bother specifying |t| if they were only taking t>0?

The answers are quite different for the two cases. For a start the FT for the u(t)exp(-t/T) case is A/(1/T+jω) whereas for the other case it's 2T/(1 + (ωT)^2)

The case with the step response has more high frequency components than the other case so you lose more of the signal when you LPF.

Have you found any results for the first case yet?

Last edited:

1. What is an electronic signal?

An electronic signal is a fluctuating electric current or voltage that carries information. It can take various forms such as analog or digital signals and can be used to transmit data, audio, or video.

2. What is a system in relation to electronic signals?

A system refers to the components and processes that manipulate electronic signals. This can include amplifiers, filters, and other electronic devices that modify the characteristics of the signal.

3. How is the energy of an electronic signal measured?

The energy of an electronic signal is typically measured in joules (J) or its multiples such as millijoules (mJ) or microjoules (μJ). It is calculated by multiplying the square of the signal amplitude by its duration.

4. What is the ratio of signal energy?

The ratio of signal energy refers to the comparison of the energy of a signal to a reference energy. In electronic systems, this is often expressed in decibels (dB) and can be used to measure the amplification or attenuation of a signal.

5. How can the ratio of signal energy be improved?

The ratio of signal energy can be improved by using amplifiers or other electronic devices to increase the energy of the signal. Additionally, proper design and maintenance of electronic systems can also help to improve the overall signal energy ratio.