A rod constrained at it's ends

• Thread starter jncarter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary: The two ends of the rod are on a circle of radius a. The circle is in the vertical plane and the rod is constrained to move with its ends on the circle. The contacts between the circle and rod are frictionless.In summary, the rod oscillates at a frequency equal to the mass density of the rod divided by the cosine of the angle between the center of the circle and the center of the rod.
jncarter

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length 2l and linear mass density of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is constrained to move with its ends on a circle of radius a, where a>l. The circle is in the vertical plane (gravity is present). The contacts between the circle and rod are frictionless.

Part A: Write down the Lagrangian describing the motion of the rod.
Part B: Calculate the frequency of oscillation for small departures from equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Lagrangian: L = [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] + mgh. Where h is the height and is some function of the angle [itex] \theta.[/itex]
The Euler-Lagrange equation: [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance between the center of mass and the center of the circle (call it L) must remained fixed, the center of mass moves like a simple pendulum. Its Lagrangian is given by
[itex]L = \lambda l L^2\dot{\theta}^2 - 2\lambda gLcos\theta[/itex]​
and would have a period of [itex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex].
I can't tell if I have to describe the motion at some point [itex]dl = \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2} [/itex]from the center of mass (with coordinates [itex]X=Lsin \theta[/itex] [itex]Y =Lcos \theta[/itex]. I think it comes down to a problem with understanding the geometry of the problem. I also can't remember what ends up happening to the Lagrangian of an extended body.
Attached is a picture of the system.Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• constrained_rod.GIF
    constrained_rod.GIF
    6.9 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many generalized coordinates do you need to specify the position of the rod unambiguously? What are they? Once you decide on these, then you need to write the Lagrangian in terms of them. Maybe you have done that but the itex code is messed up and I cannot read your equations.

Yah, sorry about that. I didn't know that you can't have formatting commands in with the itex. Better now?

Right now I am using [itex]\theta[/itex] as my generalized coordinate, where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of the center of mass from the center of the circle (the origin). Please look at the attached picture.

Better now, thanks. Your potential energy in the Lagrangian term is almost OK. What is your reference point of the potential energy? If it is the center of the circle, then it is correct that U = - mg cosθ. However, L = T-U, so ...

Now for the kinetic energy term T. This is rotational motion of an extended body about the center of the circle. The kinetic energy then is (1/2)I(θ-dot)2 where I is the moment of inertia of the rod about the center of the circle. So T = ...

This may well be true, but we haven't gone over moments yet in class. I have done so in my undergraduate studies, but I would assume the professor wouldn't give us a problem with it at this point. Also, how would I calculate the moment? Could I just consider it two point masses, each located at |[itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex]| and add them up?

jncarter said:
This may well be true, but we haven't gone over moments yet in class.
This doesn't mean that you do not have to use them if needed.
jncarter said:
I have done so in my undergraduate studies, but I would assume the professor wouldn't give us a problem with it at this point.
I don't want to second guess your professor, but I can't imagine that he/she would expect you to handle Lagrangians (normally covered at the junior-senior level) without expecting you to handle moments of inertia (normally covered in freshman physics).
jncarter said:
Also, how would I calculate the moment? Could I just consider it two point masses, each located at |[itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex]| and add them up?
No. You would have to find (or look up) the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass, then apply the parallel axis theorem as explained here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/parax.html

I am also working on this problem except i have the added fun of finding [itex]\omega[/itex] for the small departures from equilibrium.

I have found;

L = mlr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + Ir[itex]^{2}\dot{\theta}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - 2mlgrcos[itex]\theta[/itex]

does this seem right for a lagrangian?

Last edited:
mpw212002 said:
I am also working on this problem except i have the added fun of finding [itex]\omega[/itex] for the small departures from equilibrium.

I have found;

L = mlr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + Ir[itex]^{2}\dot{\theta}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - 2mlgrcos[itex]\theta[/itex]

No, the units don't work out at all for every term in your Lagrangian.

mpw212002 said:

I have found;

I think we're in the same class. Caticha?

The problem with your lagrangian is that you have too many terms with units of length (l*r2 in your T term and l*r in the U). Then there is the problem of actually finding the moment. I just can't understand how it comes into things. The two ends of the rod are not rotating about the CM, this isn't a seesaw motion, it's an extended pendulum. Maybe I need to re-draw the picture.

1. What is a rod constrained at its ends?

A rod constrained at its ends is a physical system where a rod or beam is fixed at both of its ends, resulting in the rod being unable to move or rotate at those points.

2. What are some common examples of a rod constrained at its ends?

Examples of a rod constrained at its ends include a diving board, a seesaw, and a ladder leaning against a wall.

3. What is the purpose of constraining a rod at its ends?

The purpose of constraining a rod at its ends is to limit its movement and increase its stability. This is commonly seen in structures such as bridges and buildings, where the ends of beams are fixed to prevent them from collapsing.

4. How does the constraint at the ends affect the behavior of the rod?

The constraint at the ends of a rod creates a fixed support, which prevents the rod from translating or rotating at those points. This results in a distribution of forces and moments along the length of the rod, causing it to bend or deform.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rod constrained at its ends?

A rod constrained at its ends has various applications in engineering and architecture, such as in the construction of bridges, cranes, and building frames. It is also commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of mechanics and structural stability.