What type of plastic is this and where can I find it?

This plastic is likely a phenolic plastic, which has a distinct smell and can change color under different lighting. It was likely made in Germany and is quite old. If you need a supplier for this type of plastic, you may want to check out vintage jewelry stores or online retailers that specialize in vintage plastics. In summary, the plastic in question is likely a phenolic plastic from Germany, with a distinct smell and color-changing properties under different lighting. Vintage jewelry stores or online retailers may be able to provide more information or supply this type of plastic.
fattyboa
Hello, I have somewhat of a difficult question. First of all I have to say I am not an engineer. I need help in identifying this type of plastic. I am well aware that visual identification alone is almost impossible but any help would do. If possible, could one provide a supplier of this kind?
This is the plastic in question: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4225/plasr.jpg
It does have a smell so I assume it is a phenolic kind that changes color under different lighting. The only info I found is that it was made in Germany and is quite old.

Thank you for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably one of http://vintagejewelrylane.com/information/vintageplastics.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I identify the type of plastic I have?

The most common way to identify plastic is by looking at the recycling symbol on the product. Each type of plastic has a unique number within the recycling symbol, which can help you determine the type of plastic it is. You can also try conducting a float test, in which you place the plastic in water and see if it sinks or floats. Different types of plastic have different densities, so this can also help with identification.

2. Can I recycle all types of plastic?

No, not all types of plastic can be recycled. The easiest types of plastic to recycle are generally marked with recycling symbols 1, 2, and 5. These include items such as water bottles, milk jugs, and yogurt containers. It is important to check with your local recycling program to see what types of plastic they accept.

3. What is the best way to dispose of plastic?

The best way to dispose of plastic is to recycle it. If your local recycling program does not accept certain types of plastic, you can try to find a drop-off location or mail it to a specialized recycling facility. If recycling is not an option, properly disposing of plastic in the trash is the next best alternative. It should never be burned, as this releases harmful chemicals into the air.

4. How long does it take for plastic to decompose?

It is estimated that plastic can take anywhere from 20 to 500 years to decompose, depending on the type of plastic and environmental conditions. This is why it is important to reduce, reuse, and recycle plastic as much as possible to prevent it from ending up in landfills.

5. Is all plastic harmful to the environment?

While plastic does have negative impacts on the environment, not all plastic is harmful. Biodegradable and compostable plastics are designed to break down in the environment, reducing the amount of plastic waste. However, it is important to properly dispose of these types of plastic to ensure they break down properly and do not harm wildlife.