Find div v and curl v of v Vector

• Thread starter Rubik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, thehomework equation states that div v = \triangledown \cdot v only; it is not equal to the dot product and the cross product. The curl is the cross product.
Rubik

Homework Statement

Find the div v and curl v of v = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2(xi + yj + zk)

Homework Equations

div v = [itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]\cdot[/itex] v and [itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] v

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just confused and drawing a blank in basic algebra

Is it right to expand v like this

v = x-3 + y-3 + z-3(xi + yj + zk)
= (z-3xi + z-3yj + z-2k)

is the right vector for v?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}\neq (x^{-3}+y^{-3}+z^{-3})[/tex]

IssacNewton said:
[tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}\neq (x^{-3}+y^{-3}+z^{-3})[/tex]

There's your problem. Also, that's not really the right approach. Do you know what del represents?

The del operator so instead I should be using ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y)j + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]z)k??

Rubik said:
The del operator so instead I should be using ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]y)j + ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]z)k??

Correct. Apply this operator to your vector [itex]v[/itex]. Are you having trouble understanding what this does to your vector?

And just as a correction to your OP, [itex]div(v)=\triangledown \cdot v[/itex] only; it is not equal to the dot product and the cross product. The curl is the cross product.

Yes I am struggling to apply this to my vector v? Is it right that I have to apply the product rule when applying the del operator to my vector?

So if differentiate with respect to x that is my ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i term is this remotely correct

u = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
u' = -3(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2
v = xi + yj + zk
v' = 1

then using the product rule

(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2 - 3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(x + y + z)

Then I add in with respect to y and z or is the completely off track?

Rubik said:
So if differentiate with respect to x that is my ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)i term is this remotely correct

u = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
u' = -3(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2
This is meaningless, u' is not defined for u a function of more than one variable.

[v = xi + yj + zk
v' = 1

then using the product rule

(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2 - 3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(x + y + z)

Then I add in with respect to y and z or is the completely off track?
Pretty much. Do you not know how to take a partial derivative? I don't see any reference to partial derivatives!

Sorry what I meant was using the product rule to take the partial derivative with respect to x then y then z and then putting it all together and getting [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] v

That is
the first term = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
then we take the partial derivative of the first tems with respect to x gives
= -3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2

Now the second term is (xi + yj + zk)
and the partial derivative with respect to x is 1 so using the product rule the first and second term come together to give

-3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2 + (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

And doing the same by taking the partial derivative with respect to y and z then gives

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] v = (x + y + z)(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(-3x - 3y - 3z) + 3(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

Does that look right?

Rubik said:
Sorry what I meant was using the product rule to take the partial derivative with respect to x then y then z and then putting it all together and getting [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] vThat is
the first term = (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2
then we take the partial derivative of the first tems with respect to x gives
= -3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2

Now the second term is (xi + yj + zk)
and the partial derivative with respect to x is 1 so using the product rule the first and second term come together to give

-3x(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2 + (x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

And doing the same by taking the partial derivative with respect to y and z then gives

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex] v = (x + y + z)(x2 + y2 + z2)-5/2(-3x - 3y - 3z) + 3(x2 + y2 + z2)-3/2

Does that look right?

Not as such no... I got the divergence to be zero. Using straight vector notation here we have:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{v} = (\frac{\delta}{\delta x},\frac{\delta}{\delta y},\frac{\delta}{\delta z}) \cdot (x(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2},y(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2},z(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2})[/tex]

Your partial derivative with respect to x was different. I got an x2 in front of the term with power (-5/2)

1. What is the definition of divergence and curl?

Divergence is a measure of how much a vector field flows out of or into a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇·v and can be thought of as the "flux density" of a vector field. Curl, on the other hand, is a measure of the rotation or circulation of a vector field around a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇xv and can be thought of as the "rotation density" of a vector field.

2. How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field v can be calculated using the formula ∇·v = ∂vx/∂x + ∂vy/∂y + ∂vz/∂z, where ∂vx, ∂vy, and ∂vz are the partial derivatives of the x, y, and z components of the vector field, respectively.

3. How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field v can be calculated using the formula ∇xv = (∂vz/∂y - ∂vy/∂z)i + (∂vx/∂z - ∂vz/∂x)j + (∂vy/∂x - ∂vx/∂y)k, where i, j, and k are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

4. How do you find the divergence and curl of a vector field using the gradient operator?

The gradient operator, denoted by ∇, is used to calculate both the divergence and curl of a vector field. To find the divergence, apply the dot product of the gradient operator to the vector field. To find the curl, apply the cross product of the gradient operator to the vector field.

5. How are the concepts of divergence and curl applied in physics and engineering?

Divergence and curl are fundamental concepts in vector calculus and are applied in various fields of physics and engineering. In physics, they are used to describe fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. In engineering, they are used in the analysis of stress and strain in materials, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics.