Is Double Majoring in Computer Science and Another Field Worth Considering?

• Thread starter Maroc
  • Start date
In summary, a 1st year Computer Science (hons) student is considering continuing their education after obtaining a Bsc to obtain a Msc. They are also interested in majoring in Physics, but are unsure if it is compatible with their CS skills. Other users suggest that having a CS skill-set could be beneficial in the field of Physics, and emphasize the importance of strong mathematical skills in both fields.
Maroc
Gold Member
Hey PF,

I am a 1st year Computer Science(hons) student in University. I am pondering the thought of continuing with my education after Bsc to obtain a Msc. The thing that is holding me back is that I also want to major in something else after I completed my major in CS. What do you guys think about this?

Thanks PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your new major going to be something that you can apply CS to? If so, go for it. Having that CS skill-set may open doors for you if you can apply it to your new field - especially if you can demonstrate the applicability to a prospective employer.

I was thinking a major in Physics. Good point turbo.

Although i can not guarantee its accuracy, to the my knowledge computing skills are very valuable in physics both theoretical and experimental. Better you are at architecture and error analysis, better you can implement your algorithm skills to your calculations. From what i see in my computational physics courses the most valuable skill would you can get accurately guessing the errors and be able to implement/create better algorithms to minimize the error or maximize the calculation speed according to the problem you are working with. If you are thinking of double major, i would advice you to be better at mathematical skills as much as you can imagine. You will always use both computer and both your mathematical skills in physics later.

That is true. Thanks for your input.

1. Is it too early to think of scientific breakthroughs?

It is never too early to think of scientific breakthroughs. Scientific progress is a continuous process and new breakthroughs can occur at any time.

2. Is it too early to think of solutions to global issues?

No, it is never too early to think of solutions to global issues. It is important to start thinking about and addressing these issues as soon as possible in order to prevent further harm.

3. Is it too early to think of long-term consequences?

No, it is never too early to think of long-term consequences. As a scientist, it is important to consider the potential impacts of our actions and research on the environment and society in the long run.

4. Is it too early to think of alternative methods or theories?

No, it is never too early to think of alternative methods or theories. In fact, considering different perspectives and approaches can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

5. Is it too early to think of ethical implications of scientific research?

No, it is never too early to think of ethical implications of scientific research. As scientists, it is our responsibility to consider the potential ethical concerns and consequences of our work and to conduct research in an ethical and responsible manner.