Integration of exponential of inverse tangent

In summary, the person is trying to integrate by parts and is stuck at the arctan part. They redid the initial equations and put the inverse tangent term as arctan (z/a) instead of arctan (z/a^1/2). Finally, they solved for the integral by replacing the w with i and taking u back to a+iz.
Elsasw
Hi all, i need help with integration of exponential of inverse tangent, could not find it in table of integrals

the whole equation is
I=∫A/[w(a+z^2)^1/2]*exp(zb)*exp[(-i*arctan(z/(a)^1/2)]

-am trying to integrate by parts but stuck at the arctan part

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to find a closed form in terms of elementary functions. It looks like the answer will necessarily involve the special function [itex]\mbox{Ei}(z)[/itex], defined for real numbers as

[tex]\mbox{Ei}(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x \frac{e^t}{t},[/tex]
though your integral will require the extension of this function on the complex plane.

Anyways, for your problem, I would use [itex]e^{-i\theta} = \cos\theta - i \sin\theta[/itex]. Since [itex]\theta = \tan^{-1}(z/\sqrt{a})[/itex] you can rewrite the sine and cosine in terms of only z, a, and (z^2+a)^(0.5). The last hint I will give is that the overall denominator you get can be factored (with imaginary roots) to cancel with part of the numerator.

Thank you mute. I redid the initial equations and put the inverse tangent term as arctan (z/a) instead of arctan (z/a^1/2) as earlier.ignore the w as i already factor it out. so now i got

I=∫A/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)exp(-i*arctan(z/a)) *dz

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*cos(theta)-i*sin(theta) *dz

where theta=arctan(z/a)

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*(a-i*z)/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*dz

finally

I=A∫(1/a+iz)exp(bz)*dz

After this, let u=a+iz

I=-iA*exp(iab)*∫exp(-ibu)/u*du

This is referring the exponential integral term rite. I hope this is what you meant.
Thanks again.

Elsasw said:
Thank you mute. I redid the initial equations and put the inverse tangent term as arctan (z/a) instead of arctan (z/a^1/2) as earlier.ignore the w as i already factor it out. so now i got

I=∫A/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)exp(-i*arctan(z/a)) *dz

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*cos(theta)-i*sin(theta) *dz

where theta=arctan(z/a)

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*(a-i*z)/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*dz

finally

I=A∫(1/a+iz)exp(bz)*dz

After this, let u=a+iz

I=-iA*exp(iab)*∫exp(-ibu)/u*du

This is referring the exponential integral term rite. I hope this is what you meant.
Thanks again.

I haven't checked it carefully, but yes, that looks about right. You can now identify

[tex]\int du~\frac{e^{-ibu}}{u} = \mbox{Ei}(-ibu) + \mbox{const}[/tex]
and put u back in terms of z.

Thanks a lot mute...

1. What is the formula for integrating exponential of inverse tangent?

The formula for integrating exponential of inverse tangent is ∫e^(arctan(x))dx = x - ln(1 + x^2) + C.

2. How do you prove the formula for integrating exponential of inverse tangent?

The formula can be proven using integration by parts and the substitution rule. By setting u = arctan(x) and dv = e^u dx, we can find the values of du and v to be du = 1/(1 + x^2) dx and v = x - ln(1 + x^2) respectively. Substituting these values into the integration by parts formula, we can arrive at the given formula.

3. Can the formula for integrating exponential of inverse tangent be applied to any limits of integration?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any limits of integration as long as the function is continuous in the given interval.

4. Are there any other methods for integrating exponential of inverse tangent?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric identities or using the substitution u = tan(x/2). However, the formula mentioned above is the most common and efficient method for integration of exponential of inverse tangent.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating exponential of inverse tangent?

The formula is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential and inverse tangent functions, such as in the study of oscillatory motion, electrical circuits, and population growth models. It is also used in economics to analyze interest rates and financial growth.