Lagrangian for electromagnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct form of the Lagrangian for an electromagnetic field and how to incorporate the mechanical term for particles. The correct form is L=F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu} and the full density of Lagrangian is \mathfrak{L}=-\frac{1}{16\pi}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{c}J_{\mu}A^{\mu}. To add the mechanical term, the goal is to obtain the full Hamiltonian of a point charge interacting with an electromagnetic field, which is given by H=\left[ \int d^3 x \frac{1}{
eoghan
Hi!
In some texts (Sakurai - advanced qm and others) I found this expression for the lagrangian of an em field:
[tex]
L=F_{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
but I'm a bit confused... L must be a Lorentz invariant, so I would write instead:
[tex]
L=F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu} \;\;
[/tex]
Which form is the correct one? Or are they both correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second one. Some texts are overly casual about their use of the summation convention. Generally they also use an imaginary fourth component, so there's no need for an explicit Lorentz metric or a minus sign in the summation.

Ok, so Sakurai uses an imaginary component with an euclidean metric and so there is no difference between covariant and contravariant vectors.
Another question, the full density of Lagrangian is
[tex]
\mathfrak{L}=-\frac{1}{16\pi}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{c}J_{\mu}A^{\mu}
[/tex]
But now, how can I incorporate the mechanical term of the particles? I mean, how can I add to the density of Lagrangian the mechanical term
[tex]
L=-\frac{mc^2}{\gamma}
[/tex]
The problem is that the latter is a Lagrangian, while the former is a density of Lagrangian.
My goal is to get the full Hamiltonian of a point charge interacting with an em field:
[tex]
H=\left[ \int d^3 x \frac{1}{2}(E^2+B^2)\right]+c\sqrt{m^2c^2+(\vec p - q\vec A)^2}+q\phi
[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetic field is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields in space and time. It is derived from the Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that govern the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What are the components of the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetic field consists of two components: the kinetic energy term and the potential energy term. The kinetic energy term describes the energy associated with the motion of the electromagnetic fields, while the potential energy term describes the energy stored in the fields due to their interactions with charged particles.

How is the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field used in physics?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetic field is an important tool in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of electrodynamics and quantum field theory. It is used to derive the equations of motion for electromagnetic fields, which can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field?

One of the main advantages of using the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field is that it provides a more elegant and concise way of describing the behavior of electromagnetic fields compared to the Maxwell's equations. It also allows for a more systematic and unified approach to studying different types of electromagnetic phenomena.

Are there any limitations to the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field?

While the Lagrangian for electromagnetic field is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the quantum nature of electromagnetic fields, which is necessary for understanding phenomena at the atomic and subatomic levels. Additionally, it may not be applicable in certain extreme cases, such as extremely strong electric or magnetic fields.