How to build supersymmetry lagrangians

In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of chiral and vector superfields in SUSY, the construction of invariants and SUSY lagrangians, and the possibility of extending a toy lagrangian into a SUSY one by promoting non-SUSY independent variables to be functions on superspace. References and advice for this procedure are also requested.
Neitrino
Hi,

In SUSY we introduce chiral superfield, vector superfield, then build some invariants and get the SUSY lagrangians which after decomposition into normal fields (F and D terms) gives us for example ordinary QED plus some other terms. And we call this SUSY-QED.

I have following question suppose i have some toy lagrangian of ordinary fields and I want to have its SUSY extension (when I "decompose" SUSY lagrangian I want to get my toy lagrangian) could you pls advise on this issue how should this procedure run ? or any references ?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
How about trying to promote your non-SUSY independent variables to be functions on superspace, and then try to construct your SUSY action using that formalism?

1. What is supersymmetry and why is it important in particle physics?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between bosons (particles with integer spin) and fermions (particles with half-integer spin). It is important because it provides a solution to certain problems in the Standard Model of particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the unification of forces.

2. What is a Lagrangian and how is it used in supersymmetry?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. In supersymmetry, a Lagrangian is used to construct a theory that includes both bosonic and fermionic particles, and incorporates the supersymmetry symmetry between them. It is used to calculate the interactions and properties of these particles.

3. How do you incorporate supersymmetry into a Lagrangian?

Supersymmetry is incorporated into a Lagrangian by adding new terms that include both bosonic and fermionic fields, with the appropriate coefficients to maintain the symmetry. This is known as a supersymmetric extension of the Standard Model Lagrangian.

4. What are the challenges in building supersymmetry Lagrangians?

One of the main challenges in building supersymmetry Lagrangians is finding the right balance between symmetries and symmetry breaking. The Lagrangian should maintain supersymmetry while also accounting for the observed breaking of this symmetry in nature. Another challenge is the large number of free parameters that need to be determined, which can make it difficult to make precise predictions.

5. How are supersymmetry Lagrangians tested and validated?

Supersymmetry Lagrangians can be tested and validated through experiments at high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These experiments can detect the predicted supersymmetric particles and their interactions, providing evidence for the existence of supersymmetry and the accuracy of the Lagrangian. Additionally, theoretical predictions from the Lagrangian can be compared to experimental data to further validate its accuracy.