How to solve this kind of questions ?

• Thread starter angrywar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an example of a matrix M2X2 that satisfies the equations A^3=A^2 and A^2 does not equal A. The attempt at a solution involves using matrices and solving a polynomial to find potential solutions. The concept of "0 divisors" in the ring of matrices is also mentioned.
angrywar

Homework Statement

the question is :
Get an example of metrics M2X2 that:
A^2 doest equal A but A^3 equals A^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put matrices A equals :
a b
c d

and tried to solve it , but I get to 4 equations with 4 parameters and I don't know how to solve it , is there any easier way ?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Metrics"? Do you mean matrix?

If [itex]A^3= A^2[/itex] then [itex]A^3- A^2= A(A^2- A)= 0[/itex].
The requirement that [itex]A^2\ne A[/itex] means that [itex]A^2- A\ne 0[/itex]. Now, it does NOT follow that A= 0 ([itex]0^2= 0[/itex] so A= 0 is not a solution)- the ring of matrices has "0 divisors" But that does mean that A cannot be invertible.

yes i ment matrix

i didnt get what u mean by :
"the ring of matrices has "0 divisors""

First prove that both requirements can't be satisfied by a non-singular matrix.

Once you know that A is singular, for a 2x2 this means that one of the columns is a scalar multiple of the other. So A will be of the form

[tex]A = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a & \kappa b \\
a & \kappa b \\
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

EDIT: not sure why the LaTeX isn't working. The matrix should be
(a) (κ a)
(b) (κ b)Using this assumption calculate A^3-A^2. If this quantity is 0, then in particular the (1,1) component must be 0. This gives you a polynomial which you can solve for a in terms of b (treat [itex]\kappa[/itex] as a parameter). You'll have up to 3 solutions since the polynomial can be at most cubic. Just plug them in and see if any satisfy all the requirements. If so you have your example (in fact you have a family of examples since κ can probably be almost anything), if not you've basically proven that an example doesn't exist for 2x2 matrices.

Last edited:

1. How do I approach a problem in a scientific manner?

When solving a problem, it is important to first understand the question and identify the key concepts and variables involved. Then, you can develop a hypothesis or prediction and design an experiment or investigation to test it. Make sure to use reliable and valid methods and record accurate and precise data. Finally, analyze and interpret your results to draw logical conclusions.

2. What are some common problem-solving techniques used in science?

Some common techniques used in science include the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. Other techniques include trial and error, pattern recognition, and creative thinking.

3. How do I know if my solution to a problem is valid?

A valid solution in science should be based on evidence and logical reasoning. This means that your solution should be supported by data and follow a logical sequence of steps. Additionally, it should be replicable by others and consistent with established scientific principles.

4. Are there any tips for improving problem-solving skills in science?

Some tips for improving problem-solving skills in science include practicing regularly, seeking feedback from peers and mentors, and being open to different perspectives. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to use visual aids or diagrams to organize information.

5. How do I deal with unexpected obstacles or challenges while solving a problem?

In science, unexpected obstacles or challenges are a normal part of the problem-solving process. It is important to remain calm and not get discouraged. Take a step back and re-evaluate the problem, and consider seeking advice or collaborating with others. Remember to stay organized and keep track of your progress, and don't be afraid to try different approaches or solutions.