I need an idea for a science experiment

In summary, a parent is helping their 10 year old daughter with her science fair project, looking for an idea that is at an appropriate difficulty level, interesting and fun for a 10 year old, and addresses a real question through an experiment. Some suggested ideas include measuring the eruption of Mentos and Coke, experimenting with different masses of Mentos, using Bi-carb and vinegar, and growing plants under different lighting conditions.
mrspeedybob
My daughter is entering a science fair competition in 3 weeks. I'm helping her with her experiment.

She is 10 years old, in 4'th grade and about average to slightly less interested in science. I'm trying to come up with an idea that meets the following criteria...

I want it to be at a level where she can do it, maybe with a little help. Not so difficult that I wind up doing it while she watches.

It needs to be something that a 10 year old girl will find interesting and fun. I want her to have fun memories associated with science so that she learns to like it.

It needs to address a real question with an experiment to find an answer. A demonstration is not an experiment.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some ideas that might get you going,
-Mentos in coke, measuring the height of the eruption, working out the energy contained by the mentos, repeat with varying masses of mentos, remembering to keep variables such as the amount of coke constant and temperature.
-You can also try Bi-carb and vinegar in a canister
-Grow a plant in different conditions, (different lighting conditions)
-Sodium in water

Let me know if youd like some more ideas
Thanks,
Z.C

What are some factors to consider when choosing a science experiment idea?

When choosing a science experiment idea, it is important to consider your interests, available resources, time constraints, and safety precautions. You should also think about the potential impact and relevance of your experiment.

How can I come up with a unique science experiment idea?

One way to come up with a unique science experiment idea is to think about everyday problems or questions you have and try to find a scientific explanation or solution. You can also browse science websites, magazines, and books for inspiration. Collaborating with others or conducting background research can also lead to unique ideas.

What are some criteria for a successful science experiment idea?

A successful science experiment idea should be clear, testable, and have a specific objective or hypothesis. It should also be relevant, ethical, and appropriate for your skill level. Additionally, a successful experiment should have reliable and measurable data, and the results should be reproducible.

How can I make my science experiment idea more challenging?

There are several ways to make a science experiment idea more challenging. You can increase the complexity of the experiment by adding more variables or testing multiple hypotheses. You can also use advanced techniques or technologies, collaborate with experts, or design a long-term project. Additionally, you can try to solve a more complex problem or address a current scientific issue.

What are some safety precautions to consider when planning a science experiment?

Safety is crucial when conducting a science experiment. Some important precautions to consider include wearing appropriate protective gear, conducting the experiment in a well-ventilated area, following instructions carefully, and having an adult present for experiments involving hazardous materials or equipment. It is also important to properly dispose of materials and clean up after the experiment.