Taking the FE without undergrad degree?

In summary, the person in the conversation has a BS in mathematics and is currently pursuing an MS in mechanical engineering. They are wondering if it is possible to take the FE without an undergrad degree and if it is advisable. They are currently working on deficiencies in their chosen program, which focuses mostly on mechanics. They plan on taking additional courses to properly prepare for the FE, but are unsure if they will be allowed to take it. They are advised to check with their state engineer licensing board for eligibility. The person is hoping to take the FE as a step towards becoming a Professional Engineer (PE). For review, they are recommended to use the FE Review Manual, Mechanical Discipline-Specific Review for FE, and FE/EIT Sample Examinations.
jehan60188
I have a BS in mathematics, and am currently working on my MS in mechanical engineering.
Is it possible to take the FE without an undergrad degree? Is it advisable?
I'm currently working on deficiencies, and the program I chose consists of mostly mechanics- I don't have to take thermodynamics, for example, which iirc, is tested on the FE.
I plan on taking more than the deficiencies, so I can properly prepare for the FE. But should I even bother- will I be allowed to take it?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will depend on the state engineer licensing board, as far as I know most require that you either have a degree in engineering or are within a year of graduating. You can call them up and see if you're allowed. What do you hope to achieve by taking the FE?

As for material, you'll have your work cut out for you without having taken most of the mechanical engineering curriculum such as physics, material science, fluids, heat transfer, thermo, and structural mechanics. For review, look at these books. If you go through them in detail and can apply the concepts they present, you can pass the FE. But of course passing the FE is only one part since I assume you're hoping to pass the FE to pursue a PE, your state's licensing board will be able to tell you what's required for that too.

FE Review Manual 2nd Edition
Mechanical Discipline-Specific Review for FE
FE/EIT Sample Examinations

Engineer-in-Training Reference Manual
Solutions Manual for the Engineer-in-Training Reference Manual

1. Can I take the FE exam without an undergraduate degree?

Yes, in most states, you can take the FE exam without an undergraduate degree as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements set by the state licensing board. However, some states may require a certain number of years of work experience in lieu of an undergraduate degree.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for taking the FE exam without an undergraduate degree?

The eligibility requirements vary by state, but generally you will need to have completed a certain number of credit hours in engineering or a related field from an accredited institution, and have a combination of education and work experience that is equivalent to an undergraduate degree.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage if I take the FE exam without an undergraduate degree?

No, the FE exam does not test specific undergraduate coursework, but rather tests your overall understanding of fundamental engineering principles. With proper preparation, you can still perform well on the exam without an undergraduate degree.

4. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for the FE exam without an undergraduate degree?

Yes, there are many resources available such as study guides, practice exams, and online courses that can help you prepare for the FE exam. You can also seek guidance from licensed engineers or take review courses offered by engineering organizations.

5. Can I become a licensed engineer without an undergraduate degree if I pass the FE exam?

Passing the FE exam is just one step in the process of becoming a licensed engineer. You will also need to gain a certain number of years of work experience and pass the PE exam in order to become licensed. However, passing the FE exam without an undergraduate degree is a significant accomplishment and can help you in your pursuit of becoming a licensed engineer.