Magnetic Field of a Straight Current Carrying Conductor

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving the expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field at any point on the x-axis, given two long, parallel wires carrying current in opposite directions. The equation B=(mu*I/4*pi)∫(dl x \hat{r})/r^2 was used, and there was confusion over the variables dl and \hat{r} in 3-dimensional coordinates. The solution was ultimately found by applying the ∫ B.dl formula around a circle enclosing the wires.
forestmine

Homework Statement

The figure shows an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane, each carrying a current I but in opposite directions.

Derive the expression for the magnitude of B at any point on the x-axis in terms of the x-coordinate.

Homework Equations

B=(mu*I/4*pi)∫(dl x [itex]\hat{r}[/itex])/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so here's my issue with this problem..I understand that the magnetic field of a straight current carrying conductor is

B = (mu*I)/2pi*r

I completely understand how to derive this equation, say for example we have a current running along the y-axis, and we want to know the magnetic field at a point along the x axis. This is easy enough and sure enough, I wind up with the above equation. But I'm completely confusing myself in this situation...this time, the current (and dl) run along the direction of z.

That being said, I'm completely confused about dl x [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]. [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is point from the y-axis to the x, but dl is along the z axis, correct?

Dealing with this in 3-dimensions is really beginning to confuse me.

I know that for this problem, essentially, we want to look at the x-component for the fields produced from each conductor, so it will be

Bcos(0), where B is (mu*I)/2pi*r

Does this require integration by polar coordinates? Should I just use the standard equation or B from a straight current carrying conductor and forego all this integration nonsense? I'm beginning to think I ought to, heh...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've spent too long trying to rotate coordinate systems in thin air.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi forestmine! :smile:
forestmine said:
The figure shows an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane, each carrying a current I but in opposite directions.

but where are they? :confused:
That being said, I'm completely confused about dl x [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]. [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is point from the y-axis to the x, but dl is along the z axis, correct?

Dealing with this in 3-dimensions is really beginning to confuse me.

I know that for this problem, essentially, we want to look at the x-component for the fields produced from each conductor, so it will be

Bcos(0), where B is (mu*I)/2pi*r

Does this require integration by polar coordinates? Should I just use the standard equation or B from a straight current carrying conductor and forego all this integration nonsense? I'm beginning to think I ought to, heh...

you're confusing me :redface:

dl is along the wire, r is from the particular element of the line (from l to l+dl) that you're integrating over, to the point

anyway … yes, either use the standard equation, or find it by applying the ∫ B.dl formula around a circle enclosing the wire :wink:

Whoops, guess I forgot to include the image. Sorry about that!

Anyone, I've got this one figured out.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a region of space where magnetic forces can be observed, and it is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a straight current-carrying conductor?

When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a straight current-carrying conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor. It also depends on the distance from the conductor, with the strength decreasing as the distance increases. The material of the conductor and the shape of the conductor can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field lines can be determined by using a compass, which will align with the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field measured?

The strength of the magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can measure the magnetic flux density, which is the measure of the strength of the magnetic field per unit area. The unit of measurement for magnetic flux density is Tesla (T).