Mixing Two Gases: How to Calculate Combined Volumetric Flow Rate?

In summary: I'm still puzzled with this approximation. By conservation of mass:mdot1 + mdot2 = mdottotal and if the volume flow rates are additive and ignoring compressibility effects (as my flow rates are quite low)I get ρ1*Vdot1 + ρ2*Vdot2 = ρtot*Vtot and if Vtot = Vdot1+Vdot2 this implies that all the density values are equal? I'm not sure how even assuming that the gases are ideal and have constant temperature and pressure will allow this approximation to be valid? Any help is appreciated.
Red_CCF
Hi

I'm working on a project where I have a two flow controller controlling the volumetric flow rate (in the order of 0.01-0.1ml/min) of two different gases. The gases are mixed together and I'm wondering if there's a way to figure out the exiting volumetric flow rate of the combined flow and what kind of information is required? Is just adding the two volumetric flow rate (as if the gases are a liquid) a good approximation?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the gases? Assuming ideality, then yes, that's exactly what you would want to do.

However, in reality, there might be a small change in volume from mixing.

pa5tabear said:
What are the gases? Assuming ideality, then yes, that's exactly what you would want to do.

However, in reality, there might be a small change in volume from mixing.

I'm doing N2 and air for now but CO2 or H2 may also be involved instead of one of N2 or air. So ideally, one can add the volume flow rates together? I'm a bit confused on why since gases are compressible.

Thanks

Red_CCF said:
I'm doing N2 and air for now but CO2 or H2 may also be involved instead of one of N2 or air. So ideally, one can add the volume flow rates together? I'm a bit confused on why since gases are compressible.

Thanks

Okay good point. I wasn't thinking very well. You will have to take into account the conditions at each point (temp, pressure). I was thinking that you could treat them ideally, and if the conditions are the same, then you could expect the volumes to be additive.

I'd expect all those gases mentioned to be near ideal, so using the ideal gas law should be fairly accurate.

pa5tabear said:
Okay good point. I wasn't thinking very well. You will have to take into account the conditions at each point (temp, pressure). I was thinking that you could treat them ideally, and if the conditions are the same, then you could expect the volumes to be additive.

I'd expect all those gases mentioned to be near ideal, so using the ideal gas law should be fairly accurate.

I'm still puzzled with this approximation. By conservation of mass:
mdot1 + mdot2 = mdottotal and if the volume flow rates are additive and ignoring compressibility effects (as my flow rates are quite low)

I get ρ1*Vdot1 + ρ2*Vdot2 = ρtot*Vtot and if Vtot = Vdot1+Vdot2 this implies that all the density values are equal? I'm not sure how even assuming that the gases are ideal and have constant temperature and pressure will allow this approximation to be valid?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

1. How do you calculate the combined volumetric flow rate of two gases?

To calculate the combined volumetric flow rate of two gases, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT. This equation relates the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of a gas. By rearranging the equation to solve for volume, you can calculate the combined volumetric flow rate.

2. Can you mix any two gases together?

In theory, any two gases can be mixed together. However, some gases may not be compatible and could react with each other, creating harmful substances. It is important to research the properties of the gases before mixing them.

3. What factors affect the combined volumetric flow rate of two gases?

The combined volumetric flow rate of two gases is affected by factors such as the individual flow rates of each gas, the temperature and pressure of the gases, and the compatibility of the gases.

4. How do you convert between volumetric flow rate and mass flow rate?

To convert between volumetric flow rate and mass flow rate, you will need to know the density of the gases. The equation for converting volumetric flow rate (Q) to mass flow rate (ṁ) is ṁ = Q * ρ, where ρ is the density of the gas.

5. Are there any safety considerations when mixing two gases?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when mixing two gases. It is important to research the properties of the gases and ensure they are compatible. Additionally, proper ventilation and safety equipment should be used to prevent any potential reactions or harmful substances from being released.