Particle motion ode (1st order nonlinear nonhomog)

In summary, the function v(t) is not a simple Inverse Beta function and it is too complicated to integrate formally.
kyze
hi all,

I've been trying to work this problem out,

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}-A(B-v)^{1.6}=G [/itex]

A, B and G are constants

and Matlab can't give me a solution either. I'm wondering if there is even a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Just realized I can make an assumption for B = 0. Does this make it solvable?

Hi !
The ODe is of the "separables variables" kind (see in attachment) :

Attachments

• ODE Beta.JPG
    ODE Beta.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 430
wow! thanks

Sorry, there was a typo at the end of the attached page :

Attachments

• ODE Beta.JPG
    ODE Beta.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 393
Since v represents velocity, can I then integrate the v-equation? Are inv. Beta functions integratable?

Or would it be simpler to determine the x-position by setting up the original equation as a second order derivative as:

d2xdt2−A(B−v)^1.6=G

and as B = 0 then

[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+A(\frac{dx}{dt})^{1.6}=G[/itex]
with initial conditions
dx/dt(0) = 0

i.e. particle initially at rest

Sorry to ask again, but could you show me this solution? I really struggle with maths.

Last edited:
Hi !

If B=0 your basic equation dv/dt−A(−v)^1.6=G implies v<0 or v=0. If not, (-v)^1.6 would not be real and the solution v(t) would not be real, which is not correct on a physical point of view. So v<0 or v=0.
In the general solution given in my preceeding post, let c=0 and B=0 in the formula. Then Y(0)=0 ; Inverse Beta (0) = 0 which leads to v=0.
The expected solution with condition v=0 at t=0 is obtained with c=0 in the formula.

The function v(t) is not a simple Inverse Beta function, but a combination of several functions with the Inverse Beta among them. It's far too complicated for formal integration. I think that the only practical way is numerical integration. If it is that what you want, the simplest way is probably to use a numerical process for solving directly the differential equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous particle motion ODE?

A first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous particle motion ODE is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a particle in a non-linear and non-homogeneous system. It takes into account factors such as external forces, friction, and non-uniformities in the system.

2. How is a first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous particle motion ODE different from a linear homogeneous ODE?

A linear homogeneous ODE only considers the linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables, while a first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous ODE takes into account non-linear relationships and non-uniformities in the system.

3. What are the applications of particle motion ODEs in real-life scenarios?

Particle motion ODEs can be used to model the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the trajectory of a projectile, or the movement of a fluid through a pipe. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to understand and predict the behavior of particles in different systems.

4. How are initial conditions and boundary conditions used in solving particle motion ODEs?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific initial point, while boundary conditions are the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries of the system. Both initial and boundary conditions are used to solve particle motion ODEs by providing the necessary information to determine the unique solution to the equation.

5. What methods are commonly used to solve first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous particle motion ODEs?

There are several methods for solving first-order nonlinear nonhomogeneous particle motion ODEs, including the separation of variables method, the variation of parameters method, and the Laplace transform method. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and initial/boundary conditions given.