What Methods Solve the Differential Equation f '(x) = 3 * f(x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a differential equation where f'(x) = 3 * f(x). The solution is found to be in the form of e^(kx), where k is a constant. The participants also discuss the integration process and the final solution is determined to be y = Ce^(3x).
pilmr
Can anyone give some clues on how to solve this differential equation:

f '(x) = 3 * f(x)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I can help...

If the problem is asking to solve for f(x)...
Then, I'd first ask myself, what function is equal to its derivative.

I only know of one function: e^x
Therefore, the answer must be of be form: e^(kx), where k is some constant.

Does that help?

f'(x) = 3f(x)
lets say y = f(x) for funsies

y' = 3y
(dy/dx) = 3y
dy/(3y) = dx

Integrate with respect to both sides...

right side = X+ C
Left side, , it equals (1/3)*(lny) (technically absolute value of y, but whatevs)

so
ln(y) = 3x + 3c ... which we can also say 3x + C, since C is an arbitrary constant
ln(y) = 3x+C
y = e^(3x+C)
y = (e^(3x))(e^C)
e^C is a constant, so we can say that's C
so...

y = Ce^(3x)

Thank you guys, got it now.

1. How do I identify the type of differential equation?

Differential equations can be classified into different types based on their order, linearity, and degree. The most common types are first-order, second-order, linear, and non-linear. To identify the type of differential equation, you can check the highest derivative present, the presence of terms with different powers of the dependent variable, and the coefficients of the derivatives.

2. What are the steps for solving a first-order differential equation?

The general approach for solving a first-order differential equation is as follows:

• Separate the variables by moving all terms containing the dependent variable to one side and all other terms to the other side.
  • Integrate both sides of the equation.
  • Add a constant of integration to the result.
  • Solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable.

3. How do I solve a second-order differential equation?

The process for solving a second-order differential equation is more complex and depends on the type of equation. Some common methods include:

• Substitution: Substitute a new variable to transform the equation into a first-order equation.
  • Reduction of order: Use a known solution to find a second linearly independent solution.
  • Variation of parameters: Use a known solution and its derivatives to find a particular solution.
  • Power series: Represent the solution as a power series and solve for the coefficients.

4. What are initial conditions and how do I use them to solve a differential equation?

Initial conditions are values given for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point. They are usually denoted by y(t0) = y0 and y'(t0) = y'0, where t0 is the initial point and y0 and y'0 are the initial values. These conditions are used to find the particular solution that satisfies the given conditions.

5. Are there any software or online tools available for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are many software and online tools available for solving differential equations. Some popular options include WolframAlpha, MATLAB, and Maple. These tools use numerical and analytical methods to solve differential equations and provide step-by-step solutions. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving differential equations before using these tools.