How Can I Overcome the Challenges of Applying for a Ph.D Program in Physics?

• Thread starter hjq1990
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student looking to apply for a Ph.D program in Physics but is feeling discouraged after noticing that most people on the forum are only interested in top-ranked schools. They have been working hard to meet the qualifications but feel like they still fall short compared to others. They wonder if this is due to fairness or differences in educational backgrounds. Ultimately, they are still determined to apply and are seeking advice from those who have completed or started their Ph.D programs.
hjq1990
Hey guys, I am an undergraduate student and planning to apply for a Ph.D program in Physics. From the previous posts in this forum, all you cares about are top 20 or even top 10. However, what I could possibly think of are some 50 ranking schools. I have been trying to qualify myself in GPA, in standard language proficiency, and everything else. I could not say no effort is spared, but I have really tried. However, all I have achieved after devotions and time, seem so easy for you.

I don't know whether this relates to fairness, or just education background variation. What I could figure is that if at this time I could barely catch up with others, years later the gap is to be tremendous. I am not here to complain, nor does it going to help. Friends, I just hope that you could possibly write some details of your life if you have finished or just begun your Ph.D. programs in Physics. I would really appreciate it.

I am still applying, although what would happen after all of these is unknown.

Physics news on Phys.org
hjq1990 said:
Hey guys, I am an undergraduate student and planning to apply for a Ph.D program in Physics. From the previous posts in this forum, all you cares about are top 20 or even top 10. However, what I could possibly think of are some 50 ranking schools. I have been trying to qualify myself in GPA, in standard language proficiency, and everything else. I could not say no effort is spared, but I have really tried. However, all I have achieved after devotions and time, seem so easy for you.
It only seems that way ;) But you are right, it is less difficult for some people for many reasons and some of them are unfair and circumstantial.

It may well be that you will be happier pursuing a technical career outside academia... just to be in a position to apply for PhD programs is a huge acheivement: you are not a failure and there is life outside of college.

1. Why are some people born to succeed?

There are many factors that contribute to a person's success, including genetics, environment, upbringing, and opportunities. It is a combination of these things that can make someone more likely to succeed.

2. Is success determined by genetics?

While genetics can play a role in a person's success, it is not the only determining factor. Environmental and societal factors also play a significant role in shaping a person's opportunities and choices.

3. Can anyone achieve success with hard work?

Hard work is certainly an important factor in achieving success, but it is not the only factor. Other factors such as timing, luck, and access to resources also play a role in a person's success.

4. Do successful people have certain personality traits?

There is no one specific personality trait that guarantees success. However, some traits such as determination, resilience, and adaptability can contribute to a person's success.

5. Are there any common patterns among successful people?

While there may be some common patterns among successful people, it is important to remember that each person's journey to success is unique. What works for one person may not necessarily work for another. It is important to focus on your own strengths and goals rather than comparing yourself to others.