Smart Materials: Liquid to Solid Transformation

• Thread starter Total_Damage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using non-Newtonian fluids, such as shear thickening fluids, as a means of creating a material that can change from liquid to solid state when force is applied. The conversation also touches upon the potential applications of this type of material, including potential use as a bulletproof material. The individual also mentions their specific need for a target with low penetration, and suggests using layers of RHA and non-Newtonian fluid as a possible solution.
Total_Damage
Is there any material which could change from liquid state to solid state after appiled some force?

:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some non-Newtonian fluids can do something similar - they will return to the fluid state if the force stops, however.

a shear thickening fluid (approximately) may serve your purpose. Its viscosity increases considerably when stressed. Best example is a wheat flour dough. Initially it has low viscosity but as you start applying force to make is uniform it becomes more viscous.
Density wise I can't think of an example (density increasing considerably with applied stress) in semi solid and solid materials.

In fact corn starch suspension is a very good shear thickening liquid (much better than wheat though), for example you can run over it, but if you walk slowly you will sink: see demo here.

Thank you Very Much Mr.Alkim,Mr.pukb,Mr.mfb. :shy:
Now I got an idea, how to make it... really super video alkim. another thing I want to know that, Is this fluid acts as a Bullet proof?. I mean it will withstand the deformation of the pointed bullet penetration.
And too this one if the penetration made by the projectile will heals itself? Like self Haling Structure...
:confused:

Actually my target is 18mm thickness, I just want to make the target into low penetration material. is that possible by making layer of metal and Non Newtonian fluid to avoid penetration? if I'm using RHA is a target means 3 layers of RHA with 3mm thickness and 3 layers of Non Newtonian fluid with 3mm thickness. the arrangement is like layer by layer, first RHA, then Non Newtonian. this one is my need? is that possible?

What are smart materials?

Smart materials are materials that have the ability to change their properties in response to an external stimulus, such as temperature, light, or magnetic field. These materials are often referred to as shape-memory materials or responsive materials.

What is liquid to solid transformation?

Liquid to solid transformation is a process in which a material changes from a liquid state to a solid state. This transformation can occur due to factors such as temperature change, pressure change, or chemical reactions.

What are some examples of smart materials that undergo liquid to solid transformation?

Some examples of smart materials that undergo liquid to solid transformation include shape-memory alloys, hydrogels, and thermoplastics. These materials have the ability to change their shape, size, or stiffness when exposed to a specific stimulus.

What are the potential applications of smart materials with liquid to solid transformation?

Smart materials with liquid to solid transformation have a wide range of potential applications, including in biomedical devices, sensors, actuators, and self-healing materials. They can also be used in consumer products such as clothing, furniture, and packaging.

What are the advantages of using smart materials with liquid to solid transformation?

The advantages of using smart materials with liquid to solid transformation include their ability to respond to changes in the environment, their lightweight and durable nature, and their potential to reduce energy consumption and waste in various industries. They also have the potential to improve the functionality and performance of products and devices.