Is it possible to learn physics by myself?

• Thread starter superduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Japanese student in correspondence course wants to learn physics by himself, but professor says it's just like a dream and is useless. He recommends books for introductory physics, Halliday and Resnick, but warns student that he cannot move to an advanced level. He has a strong desire to study physics and is ready to work hard even with illness and disorder.
Thank you for advice and I'm sorry to IGU

Thank you for advice, mal4mac. I know lancaster university. Anyway, I searched fees each university, then it is impposible to study in U.K. The cost is so high. I decided to continue present university( unfortunately I am a major of philosophy of science because there is no university which has correspondence course of any science course in Japan). So, I will study physics mathematics and other science subjects by myself to be a theoretical physicist.

By the way, IGU, I am very sorry. I tried many times to use The Student Room, but it didn't work well. Any message can not be put on this site, so I can't ask any questions, search any things. I am disapppointed. But I'll tried amzon site at U.K. It was nice website. I can find GCSE books. And looked at content and a few pages of a book. When I find attractive book, I'll ask you your opinion. Would you answer me? Then first question I have. Basicmathematics by Lang and a GCSE level mathematics book: which is better to buy. I think first one is better, how do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
superduck said:
By the way, IGU, I am very sorry. I tried many times to use The Student Room, but it didn't work well. Any message can not be put on this site, so I can't ask any questions, search any things. I am disapppointed.

Like this site, you can't post to the forums there without signing up. But you can search and read them. I will point out that like most student sites, people tend to focus on how to pass exams rather than how to understand the subject -- I find this attitude not particularly helpful for those who wish to go far.

But I'll tried amzon site at U.K. It was nice website. I can find GCSE books. And looked at content and a few pages of a book. When I find attractive book, I'll ask you your opinion. Would you answer me?

Probably not, since I don't know much about it. But I can suggest that if you want good answers from people you will try to describe exactly as you can the level you are at, what approach to learning you have found works for you, and what your goals are. Some of this you've done, but not very clearly or completely. Getting good advice on study materials and techniques is hard because people are so different. And it sounds like you are quite unusual in several ways, so it's even more important.

Then first question I have. Basicmathematics by Lang and a GCSE level mathematics book: which is better to buy. I think first one is better, how do you think?

You'll need to make it clear whether you are interested in learning GCSE type math, so you can pass GCSE type tests and be on a track that people who expect GCSE students are used to; or if you are interested in learning math; or if you are interested in learning math so you can do physics. These are very different goals and lead to different suggestions. I have looked at neither book. If I were trying to figure out which is better I'd start by looking at all the reviews on the Amazon site and trying to understand what people think of them and especially what people think who are most like me and want the same things that I do.

Sorry I can't be of more direct help. Instead I'm trying to help you ask the right questions of the right people so you can get what you want. I hope that's not entirely useless to you.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for advice

Dear lisab, Thank you for usedful link. I'll carefully look at the web site.

Dear IGU, thank you for your advice. Your opinion is very sensible. It is helpful for me. I'm grateful for that. When I choose book, I will compare similar kind books before decide to buy. If I live in Europe or America or big city like Tokyo in Japan, I could look at textb ooks directly, but I live in countryside in Japan so only way to find books is to use internet.

about my aim to goal

I think I was worng these days. I was too focus on about studying at U.K. But I'll chooze another way because the payment is so high so that I can't go to U.K. and my dearm is to be a theoretical physicist. So, my goal is not passing the GCSE, but my aim is understand mathematics and physics deeply. I will chooze book, considering these my thought. Thank you very much IGU!

Just search for 'AQA', or 'Edexcel' or 'OCR' GCSE Physics Revision Guides. These are the major exam boards for GCSEs and the bookshops were filled with these revision guides across all subjects when I did physics and maths GCSE, and they still are.

They will give you an idea of what things, at what level, are needed to pass GCSEs here. This is no longer your goal but the level and content of the guides should be about right.

If you want a simple textbook that is more than a revision guide, has fully explained examples, a LOT of exercises, many of which have full solutions, at GCSE level, try 'Countdown to Mathematics' by Lynne Graham and David Sargent. It is written especially for self study students.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201137313/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This link is for volume 2. You might prefer to start at volume 1. It stops before calculus. It does not cover physics.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for advice

Dear Chronos,
Thank you for advice! Foundation Mathematics by K Stroud is really attractive. I searched about this book. I am usually learning mathematics in Japanese, but I want to study in English as well. This book might be suit my aim.

Is it really dangerous to study physics by oneself?

Hello,
Recently, I met a professor whose major is philosophy of science. At the meeting, I got some advice about learning physics from him. He said that it is very dangerous to study physics by myself because no one can point my mistakes or lack of understanding some matters or misunderstanding. The reason is on web communities like this site, I can't tell my question or thought about some problem to others thoroughly. Is that right? If so, is there any way to solve this problem? Do you have some idea?
The professor also said to me that it is better to study with other students to make knowledges or understanding fixed. But, in my situation, I have to study by myself, so I can't do it. Is there good way for that?
I want to hear many opinions from everybody.
Please help me.