Two Laser Emissions: Resolving Contradiction

In summary: I don't know what you are asking. F and F' are frames, not observers. the coordinates of frames determine simultaneity. Observers are unaware of the coordinates unless they do a lot of...
Whatifitaint
I can't figure this out.

Say 2 frames are in relative motion. When the origins at at the same place, 2 lasers shoot up the positive x-axis and negative x axis. Let's call the 2 frames F and F'. F says the lasers will always hit simultaneous events along the x-axis. Then by the relativity of simultaneity F says the lasers for F' will never cause simultaneous events. But, F. says the lasers always cause simultaneous events along its x axis.

So, how is this resolved that special relativity says F' will never see simultaneous events by F but F' says it always see simultaneous events?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatifitaint said:
Say 2 frames are in relative motion. When the origins at at the same place, 2 lasers shoot up the positive x-axis and negative x axis.

So, just to be clear, the lasers only fire once each, and the event at which they both fire is the event at which the origins of both frames are co-located? I'll assume that this is correct in what follows.

Whatifitaint said:
F says the lasers will always hit simultaneous events along the x-axis.

Yes.

Whatifitaint said:
Then by the relativity of simultaneity F says the lasers for F' will never cause simultaneous events.

No, that's not quite correct. What F can say, by relativity of simultaneity, is that the pairs of events on the x-axis that he considers simultaneous are not simultaneous for F'. However, there will be *other* pairs of events on the x' axis (which is spatially the same as the x axis) that are simultaneous for F' but not for F.

If the above still isn't clear, I recommend drawing a spacetime diagram of the scenario.

Whatifitaint said:
I can't figure this out.

Say 2 frames are in relative motion. When the origins at at the same place, 2 lasers shoot up the positive x-axis and negative x axis. Let's call the 2 frames F and F'. F says the lasers will always hit simultaneous events along the x-axis. Then by the relativity of simultaneity F says the lasers for F' will never cause simultaneous events. But, F. says the lasers always cause simultaneous events along its x axis.

So, how is this resolved that special relativity says F' will never see simultaneous events by F but F' says it always see simultaneous events?

Here's a spacetime diagram depicting your scenario for frame F. Note the pairs of events with the same color:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63095&stc=1&d=1382164683.png

Now I transform the coordinates of the events to frame F' moving at 0.6c with respect to frame F:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63096&stc=1&d=1382164683.png

Now you can see that none of the pairs of same-colored simultaneous events from frame F are simultaneous in frame F' but there are other pairs of events that are simultaneous in frame F' but they won't be simultaneous if frame F.

For example, in frame F' (the bottom diagram), the green event on the left beam is simultaneous with the black event on the right beam but these two events are not simultaneous in frame F.

Does that help?

Attachments

• TwoBeams1.PNG
    TwoBeams1.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 424
  • TwoBeams2.PNG
    TwoBeams2.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
So, just to be clear, the lasers only fire once each, and the event at which they both fire is the event at which the origins of both frames are co-located? I'll assume that this is correct in what follows.

Yes.

No, that's not quite correct. What F can say, by relativity of simultaneity, is that the pairs of events on the x-axis that he considers simultaneous are not simultaneous for F'. However, there will be *other* pairs of events on the x' axis (which is spatially the same as the x axis) that are simultaneous for F' but not for F.

If the above still isn't clear, I recommend drawing a spacetime diagram of the scenario.

Oh, so F says his pairs of simultaneous events will not be simultaneous for F', but F' will be seeing its own simultaneous pairs of events at any given time. I think that is what both you and ghwellsjr are saying.

Say then that we put F and F' frame observers at A1 and A2 , |A1|=|A2| F frame coordinates.

F observers say these events are simultaneous and the F' observers say they are not.

Is this all correct?

Whatifitaint said:
Oh, so F says his pairs of simultaneous events will not be simultaneous for F', but F' will be seeing its own simultaneous pairs of events at any given time. I think that is what both you and ghwellsjr are saying.

Say then that we put F and F' frame observers at A1 and A2 , |A1|=|A2| F frame coordinates.

F observers say these events are simultaneous and the F' observers say they are not.

Is this all correct?
I don't know what you are asking. F and F' are frames, not observers. the coordinates of frames determine simultaneity. Observers are unaware of the coordinates unless they do a lot of work.

1. What is the concept of "Two Laser Emissions: Resolving Contradiction"?

The concept of "Two Laser Emissions: Resolving Contradiction" refers to a scientific phenomenon where two lasers with different frequencies are emitted from a single source, but their frequencies appear to be in contradiction with each other. This can occur in various systems, such as optical cavities or laser diodes.

2. How does this phenomenon occur?

This phenomenon occurs when a laser emits two beams with different frequencies due to the interference of multiple longitudinal modes in the laser cavity. This can happen if the laser cavity is too long, or if there are other factors affecting the laser's emission.

3. What is the significance of this phenomenon?

The significance of this phenomenon lies in its potential to affect the performance of laser systems. It can lead to instabilities in laser output and decrease the precision of laser measurements. Therefore, understanding and resolving this contradiction is essential for improving the accuracy of laser technology.

4. How can this contradiction be resolved?

There are various methods for resolving this contradiction, depending on the specific system and its characteristics. Some of the common approaches include adjusting the length of the laser cavity, using frequency-selective elements, or implementing active control methods to stabilize the laser output.

5. What are the potential applications of this research?

This research can have significant applications in various fields, such as laser technology, optical communications, and precision measurements. By understanding and resolving the contradiction in two laser emissions, we can improve the stability and accuracy of these systems, leading to advancements in areas such as laser spectroscopy, laser-based sensing, and optical data transmission.