Compress Methane Safely Without Risk of Explosion - Sam

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety concerns and methods for compressing methane generated from biomass into a storage tank. It is advised to use a scroll compressor and remove water, CO2, and hydrogen sulfide before use. An oxygen sensor should also be used to prevent explosiveness. The conversation also shares personal experiences and safety precautions. The thread was ultimately closed due to the dangerous nature of the topic.
iwant2beoz
How can i compress methane without a risk of it exploding? I want to compress methane generated form biomass into a storage tank (a small propane tank) without flattening my workshop. Does anyone know a safe way to do this?
Thank
Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's no danger in compressing methane unless there's air (ie: oxygen) in it.

Thank you for the answer but perhaps i ought to rephrase, can i use a regular air compressor? Or is that likely to cause a problem?

The quick answer is no. Virtually all compressors have leaky piston rings so that ring leakage must be taken somewhere safe if the gas is a flammable. Air compressors allow that leakage to go to atmosphere.

I had the same concern but wasn't sure, what about using an AC pump out of a car?

That might work since that's a scroll compressor which is a completely sealed unit.

Cool, well all i have to do now is figure out how to remove the water,CO2 and hydrogen sulfured and i can fire up my BBQ:) thank you

The BTU content of your methane can vary greatly, from barely hot enough to sustain combustion to blue hot flames. PLEASE, if you compress any flammable gas, include an oxygen sensor on the compressor suction (intake) line to prevent a dangerously explosive mix from being put into your compressor.
Methane from biomass can be handled by the same techniques that have been used in handling natural gas for decades. Water can be removed by thermodynamic means (aka a 'drip") or by running the gas through a bath of triethylene glycol to strip the water out, then cooking the water out of the glycol and recirculating. The gas laws are your friends on this one.
Carbon dioxide comes out with a bath of amine in much the same way that glycol attracts H20.
Take a look here: http://www.naturalgas.org/naturalgas/processing_ng.asp and here: http://www.newpointgas.com/

I spent over a decade running natural gas production from the wellhead to the sales tap...fascinating stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would an o2 sensor form a car engine work? And that you for the links they are a big help!

I do not know what range automotive O2 sensors operate in.
You need to keep your O2 content below 2% as far as I know, to stay in a safe range. Our sensors ran in contact with the gas stream itself, sampling 2-5 cfh. fairly simple concept: sensor- meter-alarm. The high oxygen alarm needs to be wired to a kill switch for the whole enterprise. With enough compression and some oxygen you can make an explosion just like in a diesel engine, but it will probably be a one-stroke occurence. With all that being said and with the caveat that you will die if you try this, I once loaned a leaky 50 year old one cylinder air compressor to a friend with a gas well that was not producing enough to supply his house. He hooked the intake of the compressor to the output of the well and the output of the compressor tank to his household supply line and turned it on. That old thing still had enough ring seal left to pull a slight vacuum on his gas well and send about 30 psi to his house. He ran it that way all winter and then hauled the compressor back to me. I will point out that the gas well was a good ways from the house, fortunately.

Well I would very much like to avoid the one stroke workshop removal experience, so I will get a good o2 sensor and make sure to have a fire srepression system. What would recommend if there is a fire?

Thread closed for Moderation...

This discussion is too dangerous to be allowed to continue here on the PF, especially given the lack of experience of the OP. The thread will remain closed.

Likes 1 person

1. How is methane compressed safely?

Methane can be safely compressed by using specialized equipment, such as compressors and pressure vessels, that are designed and tested to handle the high pressures and temperatures required for compression. It is also important to follow strict safety protocols and regulations to ensure the safe handling and storage of compressed methane.

2. What are the risks associated with compressing methane?

The main risk associated with compressing methane is the potential for explosion. When methane is compressed, its temperature and pressure increase, which can result in a highly flammable and explosive mixture. Additionally, there may be risks associated with handling and transporting compressed methane, such as leaks or accidents.

3. How can the risk of explosion be minimized when compressing methane?

To minimize the risk of explosion when compressing methane, it is important to use specialized equipment and follow strict safety protocols. This includes regular maintenance and testing of equipment, using proper ventilation and protective gear, and following proper procedures for handling and storing compressed methane.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for safely compressing methane?

Yes, there are regulations and standards in place for safely compressing methane. These may vary by region, but generally include guidelines for equipment design and operation, safety protocols, and training requirements for personnel handling compressed methane.

5. What are the benefits of compressing methane?

Compressing methane allows for more efficient storage and transportation of natural gas, which is a cleaner and more sustainable energy source compared to fossil fuels. It also allows for easier integration with existing natural gas infrastructure and can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by capturing and utilizing methane that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere.