Designing a crystal decanter cleaning apparatus

In summary, it sounds like you may be able to clean the decanter using a box fan motor, but the liquid may not be kept stationary.
urbango
I need to create a machine that'll help me clean out my crystal decanters. Brown rice and soap work great, just shake and viola...however some decanters need a bit more shaking, or 'spinning' of the rice and soap than I can provide so I've devised a plan with a box fan motor that would create a continual spin motion going along inside my decanters... only I am not exactly sure if there's even a way to make this where the liquid won't just ride up against one side while it's spinning.
Is there a way to make the bottle spin while the insides remain stationary...I don't know but my first thought was using a lazy susan device...
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting idea...

You may get good results with an ultrasonic cleaner using a 10% alcohol in water mix. If you need an abrasive material that is safe with glass then consider bicarbonate of soda from the kitchen. Warning, bicarb will damage softer plastics.

Crystal glass is a very clear and often heavy glass, originally made with 25% lead oxide. Before you use the decanter for drink, make sure it is not made from lead oxide glass. The organic stain from the wine on the glass will have sealed the surface. Be careful when you clean lead glass, the stain removal will expose the lead bearing surface again.

Thanks for the tip...not sure if I'll go the ultrasonic direction. The decanters would be too large for them unless i buy a really large ultrasonic machine, which translates into more money than I would want to spend and for sure what a simple spinner would cost.

Baluncore said:
You may get good results with an ultrasonic cleaner using a 10% alcohol in water mix. If you need an abrasive material that is safe with glass then consider bicarbonate of soda from the kitchen. Warning, bicarb will damage softer plastics.

Crystal glass is a very clear and often heavy glass, originally made with 25% lead oxide. Before you use the decanter for drink, make sure it is not made from lead oxide glass. The organic stain from the wine on the glass will have sealed the surface. Be careful when you clean lead glass, the stain removal will expose the lead bearing surface again.

Well, I remember well the research on lead leaching from (esp.) full lead crystal. The upshot is you don't want to store anything in such a decanter for several days or more. However, the realistic risk for 48 hours or less is minimal. I routinely continue to use my beautiful decanters to serve, or hold for the next day. And serving and full lead crystal glasses for a meal is obviously fine.

What you definitely don't want to do is store sherry or port (as my father used to do) in a full lead crystal decanter for a month.

1. What materials should I use to build a crystal decanter cleaning apparatus?

The materials used for building a crystal decanter cleaning apparatus should be non-reactive and non-abrasive to avoid damaging the delicate crystal. This can include materials such as stainless steel, silicone, and soft bristle brushes.

2. How often should I clean my crystal decanter?

It is recommended to clean your crystal decanter after each use to prevent any residue or stains from building up. However, if the decanter is not used frequently, it should be cleaned at least once a month to maintain its shine and clarity.

3. Can I use regular dish soap to clean my crystal decanter?

No, regular dish soap can be too harsh for delicate crystal and may leave a film or residue. It is best to use a specialized crystal cleaning solution or a mild detergent specifically designed for delicate glassware.

4. How do I ensure all residue is removed from the decanter?

To ensure all residue is removed from the decanter, it is recommended to use a combination of a cleaning solution and a soft bristle brush to gently scrub the inside of the decanter. Rinse thoroughly with hot water and allow it to air dry upside down to prevent water spots.

5. Is it safe to put my crystal decanter in the dishwasher?

No, it is not recommended to put a crystal decanter in the dishwasher as the high heat and harsh detergents can damage the delicate crystal. Hand washing with a gentle soap and warm water is the best method for cleaning a crystal decanter.