What are the necessary parameters for designing an IC engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary parameters and references for designing an IC engine, specifically for automotive use. The experts suggest researching specific topics of interest and recommend a book titled "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" for in-depth understanding.
Vignesh
hey i am engineering student i am interested in designing a ic engine. I want to know necessaries and parameters for designing a engine

hey please provide some reference for it

thank you:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Vignesh said:
I want to know necessaries and parameters for designing a engine
That will depend on the application of your IC engine.
Exactly what do you want to use the engine for?

automotives like cars

Last edited:
i am not specific about power sir,

i know about basic operation of an 4-stroke gasoline engine.
can i have some material to learn in depth about automotive engines

Thank you again sir

Since you have some knowledge of IC engines, it is a case of building on that knowledge.
We cannot name one general document unless you can be much more specific about your stage of learning.

I really think the best way to advance your interest is to attend an engineering library or to google search the particular topics that interest you now.

It is better to ask questions on PF about specific design details, rather than about broad generalities.

Likes 1 person
There is a book in the automotive industry commonly referred to as the "engine bible" call "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" by John B. Heywood. It is a great read, and it covers Otto cycle and Diesel engines. It is a common book for course work at universities and would likely be found in a university library. I hope this helps.

1. What are the main parameters that affect engine design?

The main parameters that affect engine design include the size and shape of the combustion chamber, the number of cylinders, the stroke length, the bore diameter, and the compression ratio.

2. How does the size of the combustion chamber affect engine performance?

The size of the combustion chamber directly affects the engine's power output and fuel efficiency. A larger combustion chamber allows for greater air and fuel mixture, resulting in more power. However, a smaller combustion chamber can lead to better fuel efficiency.

3. What is the significance of the number of cylinders in engine design?

The number of cylinders in an engine determines its displacement and power output. More cylinders generally mean a larger displacement and more power, but it also increases the engine's size and weight. Fewer cylinders result in a smaller engine but with less power.

4. How do stroke length and bore diameter impact engine performance?

The stroke length and bore diameter directly affect the engine's displacement, which is a key factor in determining its power output. A longer stroke length and larger bore diameter result in a larger displacement and more power, while a shorter stroke length and smaller bore diameter lead to a smaller displacement and less power.

5. What is the role of compression ratio in engine design?

The compression ratio is the ratio of the volume of the combustion chamber when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke to the volume when it is at the top of its stroke. It affects the engine's power and efficiency, with a higher compression ratio resulting in more power but also a higher risk of engine knock. A lower compression ratio leads to less power but also a lower risk of engine knock.