Underwater oxygen extraction device

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a mouthpiece that can extract oxygen from water and the potential risks of oxygen toxicity. It is mentioned that there are already gadgets available that can extract oxygen from water, but the main issue is removing the toxic CO2. It is also noted that oxygen can become toxic at certain depths. The conversation concludes with a mention of nitrogen narcosis and its effects on the body.
iDimension
Hello everyone. I'm sure there is a really good reason as to why this hasn't been done yet but I just wanted to ask and see if it could be done.

Why can't we make a mouth piece that basically takes in water, filters out the oxygen and then expels the water back into the ocean, then takes in some more water, extracts the oxygen ect?

Do we not yet have technology capable of extracting oxygen from water? Or is it just that the technology is too large for it to be used in these circumstances?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't oxygen become toxic at a certain point though? I suppose it could be used at a certain depth

The problem is not getting oxygen, it is removing the toxic CO2.
Oxygen is not toxic, oxygen poisoning is a term used to describe excess oxygen. The first symptom is prickly lips due to the increased sensitivity of the nervous system.

Baluncore said:
The problem is not getting oxygen, it is removing the toxic CO2.
Oxygen is not toxic, oxygen poisoning is a term used to describe excess oxygen. The first symptom is prickly lips due to the increased sensitivity of the nervous system.

This is very important. Oxygen can be extremely toxic. If the partial pressure of oxygen in any breathable gas mix at depth exceeds one atmosphere, seizures and death may occur even before drowning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity as a start.

Prickly lips sounds like nitrogen narcosis, which I have experienced myself.

Last edited:
Neumeric said:
Prickly lips sounds like nitrogen narcosis, which I have experienced myself.

I have never experienced nitrogen narcosis, but you will get prickly lips for hyperventillating (I know it first hand). Whether it is because of the excess oxygen, or too low levels of carbon dioxide (which increases blood pH) is another question.

What is an underwater oxygen extraction device?

An underwater oxygen extraction device is a piece of equipment used to extract oxygen from water for breathing purposes. It is typically used by divers, underwater exploration teams, and submariners.

How does an underwater oxygen extraction device work?

An underwater oxygen extraction device works by using a process called electrolysis. The device uses electricity to break down water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen gas. The oxygen is then collected and stored for use by the person wearing the device.

What are the benefits of using an underwater oxygen extraction device?

The main benefit of using an underwater oxygen extraction device is that it allows the user to breathe underwater without the need for bulky oxygen tanks. This makes diving and other underwater activities more convenient and less physically demanding.

Are there any risks associated with using an underwater oxygen extraction device?

While underwater oxygen extraction devices are generally safe to use, there are some potential risks. These include the risk of electrical shock or explosion if the device malfunctions, as well as the risk of hypoxia (low oxygen levels) if the device fails to extract enough oxygen from the water.

Are there any limitations to using an underwater oxygen extraction device?

One limitation of using an underwater oxygen extraction device is that it can only be used for a limited amount of time before the oxygen supply runs out. The device also requires regular maintenance and may be less effective in extremely cold water or at deeper depths.