Switch to Physics? Job Prospects & Quantum Optics

• Thread starter dan0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you understand what it means, that course is openIn summary, the speaker is a first year electronic engineering student who is not interested in the traditional EE subjects and wants to study optoelectronics, specifically quantum and nonlinear optics. However, they are realizing that these fields are not available in their EE program and are considering switching to physics. They ask for advice on whether studying quantum optics is a good choice and whether they should switch to physics. Another person suggests taking a minor in physics or pursuing it in graduate school if their current program does not offer the courses they are interested in. They also recommend looking at the course curriculum and descriptions to make an informed decision.
dan0
I'm studying electronic engineering - the first year, but the only subjects I really like are Math, Physics and C programming. I'm really bored of all the EE stuff - like circuits, measurements, etc.. I wanted to study optoelectronics, but now I found out that it's too technically oriented and I'm more interested in fields like quantum and nonlinear optics, which I can't study on EE. Now I'm thinking about switching to physics, which would not be a big problem, but I'm not really sure if it is a perspective field and if I will find a good job having it as major.
Do you thing studying quantum optics is a good choice?
Should I switch to physics?
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says that you can't study nonlinear optics and quantum optics in EE? The university where I got my PhD had both of those courses taught in the EE and cross-listed in Physics. Remember that the best engineers will have a good handle on their physics. If you want to learn physics, take it on as a minor, a friend of mine did that years ago, ultimately got a PhD in Low Temperature Physics but in his case he needed his EE degree to help set up the experimental apparatus and its associated electronics.

Dr Transport said:
Who says that you can't study nonlinear optics and quantum optics in EE? The university where I got my PhD had both of those courses taught in the EE and cross-listed in Physics. Remember that the best engineers will have a good handle on their physics. If you want to learn physics, take it on as a minor, a friend of mine did that years ago, ultimately got a PhD in Low Temperature Physics but in his case he needed his EE degree to help set up the experimental apparatus and its associated electronics.

Absolutely. Nonlinear optics and quantum optics (quantum electronics as well) are both very much in the realm of Electrical engineering.

A quick look at EE and Physics web-sites shows about 50% or better of the EE graduate programs will have some type of photonics concentration.

Well - in my EE program there is only the possibility of studying optoelectronics - but it's focused mainly on optical communication systems and microwave electronics, which i find not as interesting. I will not even have courses of quantum physics or nonlinear optics in this program. And the only program giving the opportunity of studying quantum and nonlinear optics is physics.
I could also continue to study EE and then choose physics as a graduate program, but there would be the problem that I will not have the required theoretical basis.

Take a minor in physics, you should have most of the courses that you would need and could learn the rest. My friend who did a PhD in low temp physics had exactly two undergrad quantum courses and did very well. If you intend on studying in nonlinear and quantum optics and your school doesn't do that kind of work, go someplace for grad school that has what you want.

I don't see the big deal here

If you simple want to take those courses (because nonlinear/quantum optics is at most 2-3 courses) you don't need to change your whole major - but if you seem to want all the courses in another major then you should. Look at the curriculum for EE and Physics and read course descriptions up to and beyond senior years - first year grad year of that major, and if you don't understand what the descriptions mean just go to wikipedia.org and find out

1. What job opportunities are available for a physicist?

There are a variety of job prospects for physicists, including research positions in government laboratories, universities, and private companies. Additionally, physicists can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, telecommunications, and energy.

2. How does quantum optics relate to job prospects in physics?

Quantum optics is a rapidly growing field within physics that focuses on the study of light and its interactions with matter at a quantum level. As technology continues to advance, there is a high demand for professionals with a background in quantum optics, particularly in fields such as quantum computing and communication.

3. Can a degree in physics lead to other career paths?

Absolutely! A degree in physics provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Some physicists may also choose to pursue careers in data science, finance, or even entrepreneurship.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications needed for a career in quantum optics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, a career in quantum optics may require specialized knowledge in areas such as quantum mechanics, optics, and computer science. Some employers may also prefer candidates with experience in experimental techniques and data analysis.

5. How can I increase my job prospects in the field of physics?

One way to increase your job prospects in physics is to gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities. Networking with professionals in the field and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology and research can also help to expand your career opportunities. Additionally, pursuing higher education or obtaining certifications in specialized areas can also make you a more competitive candidate for job openings.